Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop has died!!!

Options
  • 18-03-2009 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

my laptop has died and i know that its due to the power thingy being damaged. so now i cant power it up to charge the battery or to transfer data off hard drive. can i physically take out the hard drive and get the data off it and transfer it to maybe an external hard drive? i have about 3000 music tracks and maybe the same amount of photos. anything else on the hard drive i dont really care about. can someone please let me know what my options are. any advice would be really appreciated. thanking you in advance......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Yes, you can take the drive out but you'll need an adaptor to plug it in and uses as an additional drive for another machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

amulet wrote: »
    my laptop has died and i know that its due to the power thingy being damaged. so now i cant power it up to charge the battery or to transfer data off hard drive. can i physically take out the hard drive and get the data off it and transfer it to maybe an external hard drive? i have about 3000 music tracks and maybe the same amount of photos. anything else on the hard drive i dont really care about. can someone please let me know what my options are. any advice would be really appreciated. thanking you in advance......

go into Maplin and just buy an encolure for the HDD, and you'll get a brand new external hard drive for the price of a dead laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

Why dont you replace the dc jack on it and you will have your laptop back up and running again. If your not used to soldering dont try it cause you will fry your motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 amulet

tried the soldering thing and it worked. but its just that it wasnt a very strong physical connection and it seems to have been a problem with my particular fujitsu/siemens model. but now the thing is rightly shagged so its looking like an external hard drive adaptor thingy! thanks for your help.

Advertisement