Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym in Carlow/ Ben Dunne gym opening

Options
  • 18-03-2009 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

hello :)

Is there any good gyms in Carlow with a creche at all, does any one know if and when the new Ben Dunne gym is opening at all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

no ben dunne is not opening a gym in carlow, they were in talks to open it and it was gone to the planning stages but he has pulled out of it just before end of last year due to the R word....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Yeah i remember this talk on the radio vaguely. It came down to money in the end allright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Jim K

lotdpd wrote: »
    no ben dunne is not opening a gym in carlow, they were in talks to open it and it was gone to the planning stages but he has pulled out of it just before end of last year due to the R word....

There were a lot of talks between Ben Dunne and the developer and things were pushing ahead at a very fast pace indeed but as was stated above the plans were taken off of the table and it is NOT going ahead. A pity really.
    Eire Og have a very good offer at the moment as far as I know. Not sure what the prices are like but well worth a call I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Thanks I might check them out, pity about Ben Dunne it would have been a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭The Gish

Baby75 wrote: »
    Thanks I might check them out, pity about Ben Dunne it would have been a good one.
    I think Eire Og do a 5 day or a 7 day membeship. Depends on what you want. They will cater for all groups.
    I joined there at the begining and am delighted with the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭waylander2002

Is there any good gyms in Carlow with a creche at all, does any one know if and when the new Ben Dunne gym is opening at all

Ben dunne gym will be open in one of those empty units beside dunne stores in graigcullen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Ben dunne gym will be open in one of those empty units beside dunne stores in graigcullen

wow zombie thread!

What is the confirmation of them opening there?
    I have heard and reheard this same story for the last 8/9 years now and nothing has come of it so I'll be taking it with a pinch of salt until I see signs going up or official announcements made.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭BabyWillis

There was a post on their Facebook page in November new gyms opening in limerick, Carlow and waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

From the Journal, who uses the facebook post as its source.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/ben-dunne-gyms-limerick-2-3162549-Dec2016/

They don't have a pool, sauna, steam room, or jacuzzi in their gyms.
    €200 per year, or €175 each if there's 3 people together.

Hopefully he does come to town, as it needs a shake up.
    The 7 oaks is expensive €550/600, and while the Talbot is cheaper (€360 deal recently) it's filthy, and the equipment needs replacing.

100 percent a friend works in laois Co.council they applied for planning and was approved, 199 euros gym membership on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,500 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Seven Oaks is a great gym/pool area and good staff but for the price is about a €100/150 to much for an annual membership.

God knows what you would catch in the Talbot it is disgusting and the staff are terrible.

But if you are looking for a gym without a pool area Ben Dunne's gyms are the way to go.

The Seven Oaks is a great gym/pool area and good staff but for the price is about a €100/150 to much for an annual membership.

God knows what you would catch in the Talbot it is disgusting and the staff are terrible.

But if you are looking for a gym without a pool area Ben Dunne's gyms are the way to go.

I like Talbot it's over priced too for the gym equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Don't get me wrong I think it would be a great addition to the town but have heard this story so many times now i'm sceptical about it coming to realisation. I was talking to a number of personal trainers and business owners over Christmas who all mentioned the same thing about this, that there was an ongoing disagreement between the owner of those units and Ben Dunne over the rent/lease and was unlikely to be resolved as both sides were holding firm on their positions.

In regards the Talbot I am currently using it and you are right it needs an overhaul, alot of the equipment in there is about to break or ancient compared to more modern gyms. It leaves alot to be desired but is almost always full whenever you go in to it, even at 7-8am this morning there was approx 12-15 people in there..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Did a new place open up beside holy angels charity shop? Anybody know anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

racso1975 wrote: »
    Did a new place open up beside holy angels charity shop? Anybody know anything about it?

It's been open a while now.

It looks to be a pretty basic set up but they seem to have all bases covered perhaps not all the frills of a high end gym as opposed to basic.

http://fitclubcarlow.ie/

The planning application would not have been possible without agreement from the unit owner, so unless there is a new issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

It's a pity somebody wouldn't open another gym in Athy. The existing one is overpriced, overcrowded and very bad value for money. Competition is needed badly.

Emme wrote: »
    It's a pity somebody wouldn't open another gym in Athy. The existing one is overpriced, overcrowded and very bad value for money. Competition is needed badly.

It's not even remotely overpriced. €40 pm for access the 3 gyms 2 with pools and qualty equipment.

I don't think you realise how good you have it. It's a shame they didn't open in carlow instead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    It's not even remotely overpriced. €40 pm for access the 3 gyms 2 with pools and qualty equipment.

I don't think you realise how good you have it. It's a shame they didn't open in carlow instead

There's only one gym in Athy. It has a pool but it's always packed out.

Emme wrote: »
    There's only one gym in Athy. It has a pool but it's always packed out.

There's another in Naas and another in Newbridge which you have access to aswell. Gyms will always be packed at peak hours particularly in the first couple of months of the year. I've been in the Athy gym plenty of times and it's always been fat from packed. The pool there is very good and probably worth the joining fee alone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement