Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Journo Befriends Teen Massacre Survivors, then Trashs Them

Options
  • 18-03-2009 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Graham Linehan's blog entry has a good summary:

The Express wins the race to the bottom Why, That’s Delightful!
    The Dunblane Massacre was an atrocity almost beyond imagining. A man named Thomas Hamilton walked into a school in a small Scottish town in March 1996, and shot dead sixteen children and one teacher.

[...]

Paula Murray is the journalist who thought it was well past time that the survivors of the Dunblane massacre were given a tabloid punching. To that end, she befriended a group of them on Facebook and collated their photographs and comments. Clearly aware of the legal guidelines in place to protect those under eighteen against invasion of privacy (and the specific instructions that the Press Complaints Commission issued regarding the Dunblane children), she waited until they hit eighteen. Then she wrote this.

The story continued inside under the headline “SICK MESSAGES SHAME MEMORY OF CLASSMATES”, referring to the normal, teenagery stuff they were saying to each other on their profiles. (I should say thank you to those on Twitter who helped me black out the names and photographs of the kids). As others have pointed out, the gist of the story is that these kids are showing disrespect to their dead classmates by… being alive.

Here’s an example of Paula’s scoop: “For instance, (name deleted), who was hit by a single bullet and watched in horror as his classmates died, makes rude gestures in pictures he posted on his Bebo site, and boasts of drunken nights out.”

Tim Ireland of Bloggerheads hoists Paula Murray by her own petard:

Bloggerheads (UK) - Paula Murray, drunken hack, mocks dead and makes light of underage drinking

P.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

jeez, thats some new depths, they shamed peoples memory by getting on with their lives as best they can? althought there is nothing the media like more than having a go at other media so this will run and run I'd say..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

copacetic wrote: »
    althought there is nothing the media like more than having a go at other media so this will run and run I'd say..

Actually, there's no mention at all in the media - on the contrary, it's blogger taking it up. To a certain extent, tabloid papers aren't going to bash each others' tactics, since they know they'll only receive the same criticism in return.

P.

not yet, but I'd imagine it'll be picked up strongly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

Nah, be surprised if it got picked up, especially in the Irish media...

I blogged about it a few days ago. Didn't see the point in pitching it to a paper...

http://markcoughlan.com/blogger-battles-with-sunday-express-calls-for-boycott/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,077 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Advertisement

'Have your say' is unavailable for this story. No kidding, do the people who write these apologies not realise that writing a self serving one is as bad as not giving one at all:confused:
    The Scottish Sunday Express is a big newspaper, with a long and illustrious history. We are also big enough to say we are truly sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

copacetic wrote: »
    'Have your say' is unavailable for this story. No kidding, do the people who write these apologies not realise that writing a self serving one is as bad as not giving one at all:confused:

+1

Spends 80% of the "apology" flattering themselves and telling the people of Scotland how much they love the paper and points out the quotes were accurate - a completely strawman argument, as _noone_ ever mentioned the quotes were inaccurate or the complaints had anything to do with that. Also, no mention of any kind of action to be taken against Paula Murray, the journalist in question.

Not good enough.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Just mind boggling that her editor saw fit to run with this story. I really don't even know where to begin with the amount of things that are wrong with this.

And where is the story?

Teens in normal life shocker?

They should be applauded for having the mental capacity to indulge in all things teenage after what they went through. Instead it is 'news' that they don't sit around crying and slitting their wrists?

Even from a news editors point of view, would the better story not be the 'overcoming trauma' human interest angle?

Really brings a whole new depth to the gutter press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the apology is sickening

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Journalist is living sack of dogsh**t shock. Other news: sky still blue

• Advertisement
Advertisement