Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardeaux on grass

Options
  • 18-03-2009 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭

Seeing as Keith mentioned this as a possibility I thought I'd bring it up as a proper discussion again. We debated this about a year ago and it was shot down (Sav you cynic :D ). I've already said I'd be interested but just curious if anyone has an input or opinion on this.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Well as said I'd be well up for it and would happily play at weekends, astro and training during the week or training twice a week etc.

I'm sure Des could use us to get his coaching badges :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

hmmm, i dunno, we have about 7/8 players that already play for teams, would they all leave?

its doable, defo. the team that i play for on sats was set up just over a year ago born from a celtic supporters club and are flying this year. the standard aint great, bottom league in UCFL, though we are hoping to maybe go up 3/4 divisions this year.

the key thing is would players leave their clubs to move? im not sure if i could as im happy with having a game on tuesdays with boardeaux and then grass on sat. would we stop playing on astro or keep both going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

We could still play on a Tuesday in the astro league and train Thursday. Is it 7 or 8 that play weekend ball? Me, you, Dave, Ciaran. Who else? Do you have coaching badges Des? Didn't realise that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

We are way away from it at the moment in terms of the commitment needed.

I don't even know if I'd be prepared to go down that route. Yet.

It means at least one evening a week training, and then the weekend Saturday or Sunday.

Setting up a whole proper club structure too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    We could still play on a Tuesday in the astro league and train Thursday. Is it 7 or 8 that play weekend ball? Me, you, Dave, Ciaran. Who else? Do you have coaching badges Des? Didn't realise that.

Man Jules was right turn on that sarcasm detector will you Martin:D

• Advertisement

The club structure can come from within though. One of the players can do the secretarial stuff. To play in the UCFL for example, you just need to rent a pitch. Which I'm sure is easily done. And if we were going down the Saturday ball route we'd have to bring in someone else to help on the managerial/coaching side. Too much for one person I reckon if you're training/playing 3 times a week. Do you have an evil twin brother you could bring on board Des?? :D

We could still play on a Tuesday in the astro league and train Thursday.
    I love this team and all, but there's no way I could give up that amount of time for it.

Also, the current set up we have suits this teams needs best, some of the lads have kids and wives etc, fair enough for the younger lads on the team, but it doesn't suit everyone.

I think playing once a week, and having no other commitments to the team suits the vast majority of the squad.

I think if we ever get to the next level and consistently do well at it, then that would be the time to think about moving away from the Astro tbh.
    Do you have coaching badges Des? Didn't realise that.
    I have no coaching badges.

Man Jules was right turn on that sarcasm detector will you Martin:D

Ed is exagerating. Not the same thing :p

Des wrote: »

It means at least one evening a week training, and then the weekend Saturday or Sunday.

Setting up a whole proper club structure too.

not necessarilty on both points but yes, its a whole lot of work and a different level.

my current team is run by one man who does everything, that sort of effort is not fair on him and i nor anybody would expect des to do that. we would need a club secreatary, somebody completly independant of the team and leave the management to Des.

we dont train :( (2 times all season). which is shocking that we are top of the league, though we have quality players throughout the team that makes up for it.

Well if we go down this road we need to train. Although I'm pretty sure if we entered the league both me and Ed play in, boards would be in contention right away. But it's taking it seriously or not. No comprimising there.

• Advertisement

Ed is exagerating. Not the same thing :p

derek, peter and mark makes it 7. so wheres the f*cking exagerating? and im sure theres a few more that play now and then.

you seem to have an obsession with every single post i put on on here, your like a personal stalker :D.

Mark doesn't play Saturdays, he works Saturdays. Peter quit our team weeks ago. So that's 5. Who does Derek play for?

Mark doesn't play Saturdays, he works Saturdays.

Mark plays on the same team as Ed and Ciaran afaik

Nope. He doesn't. He played a few games for them at the beginning of the season when they played week nights. He works Saturdays so hasn't played for them since August or something. I asked him this two weeks ago btw. Not just making it up

Ah right.

Anyway, Mark, Peter and Derek will not be playing for us in the future more than likely so this is an irrelevant conversation. No doubt if we went to Saturday games we'd need to recruit 7 or 8 new players due to commitments.

ok, I've deleted the last post in this little whiney bitchfest.

The pair of you leave it.

Now.

Des wrote: »
    Mark plays on the same team as Ed and Ciaran afaik

yes des, that is correct. he does and will continue to play with the team next season also.

Why isn't he able to play for boards?

Why isn't he able to play for boards?

he cant do mondays with college i think. he has been to most of the other games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I do like the idea of getting a proper boards club going at some stage but it does feel a little early at the moment, I think we kinda need to get to a stage where we feel we have outgrown Astro.ie before we make the transition.

If we had a situation where we had well attended training sessions each week that would be a good indicator that the committment was there to move to club football, which really does require a different level of committment and organisational effort.

I'd suggest sowing the seed of the idea with the current squad at the start of next season and see where peoples' heads are at during the season and then come back and reassess where we stand after that (though we'd probably have missed the season kick-off by that stage I suppose).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭thelepo

I'd love to do this, but as some of the lads have said we're just not there organisationally. And I must say tha I hold my hands up for not having done more, being here from the start.

I'll say now that I'll take responsbility for training if we want to do it on weekends.

Advertisement