Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F Type Connector - which one do I need

Options
  • 18-03-2009 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

I have gotten the house prewired for audio and to carry subwoofer audio, coax has been installed.

the coax cables will terminate at a speaker plate to a female:female RCA coupler.

can anyone tell me which F type connector I need to attach onto the end of the coax cable and then plug onto the RCA coupler? links would be great please. Ive tried searching the net and cant say for sure which is the right connector. I can see that it can be done using two connectors but I would like to try do it with one

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

the coax cables will terminate at a speaker plate to a female:female RCA coupler.

do you not then just need a plain RCA cable (RCA male - RCA male) to go from the wall plate to the sub?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

nereid wrote: »
    do you not then just need a plain RCA cable (RCA male - RCA male) to go from the wall plate to the sub?

that will work for the front plate to the sub but what I am referring to is from the coax cable to the rear of the plate.
    sorry if i didnt make that clear.

how do i connect the coax to the rear of the plate. the connection at the rear of the plate being a female rca coupler

aah right I get you (I think).

you have a wall plate with an rca jack on the outside and two solder points on the inside or is it again an RCA jack?

if it is the former, you want to solder the coax core to the centre of the RCA, if it is the latter, just wire up a RCA jack to the coax.

hope that makes sense.

long lengths of sub cable (I have a 10m run) are simply (for all intents and purposes) RCA terminated coax (as opposed to Sat f-type or RF type).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

I'm not aware of any F-types apart from the male/female sat variety, you shouldn't need any, most backplates are solder or screwhold, I've never seen an f female on the back of a plate, would make it very bulky in the plaster board once you put the f male onto it

DerKaiser wrote: »
    I'm not aware of any F-types apart from the male/female sat variety, you shouldn't need any, most backplates are solder or screwhold, I've never seen an f female on the back of a plate, would make it very bulky in the plaster board once you put the f male onto it

thanks DerKaiser. The site I was looking on was www.datapro.net
    the reason being that they have a custom plate creation service. Looking at their service, it would seem that they only supply an rca coupler which is female on both sides.

Perhaps you could take a look at let me know what you think or offer suggestions

http://www.datapro.net/cgi-bin/plate_designer

• Advertisement

Looking at their service, it would seem that they only supply an rca coupler which is female on both sides.

You need to see what is behind the front RCA outputs.

Just as a matter of interest, why are you running the cable to the wall point, and then on to the sub? I mean is it because you want to be able to move the sub away at times?

This is another option which would allow you to just run the cable the whole way to the sub.

I presume you are going to be mounting speaker cable, HDMI, Component, ethernet et al to the locations too?

I found this to be too awkward to figure out a fixed location for, so I just ran trunking to a hole in the floor in two locations (left and right) along with, erm, sufficient plug sockets so I can run whatever cables I want whenever.

The reason i am running the cable to a wall plate is that I am creating two potential sub points. One at the fron of the room and one at the back of the room. I only have one sub at the moment, so therefore I dont want a second cable lying around the place. Its really just to give me options while keeping things tidy and clean.
    nothing else!

Advertisement