Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's he waiting for???

Options
  • 18-03-2009 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Met a really nice guy Monday night lets call him X. First time I've actually felt I clicked with someone in ages. Anyways we chatted for ages and had a little bit of a snog(initiated by him), then I went for a dance with the girls, ended up chatting to other people and before I knew it night was over and my group of friends were leaving.

Anyhow X's friend knows my friend who I was staying with that night. His friend send a text after the club saying that X was having a few people back and would love us to come. Now it was late and I was trying to play it cool so didn't want to be showing up, so we politely decined the invite.

Yesterday X's friend asked my friend for my number for him ... good stuff I thought. Since then nought. What could he be waiting for?

Ok I know it's scarcely been 24 hours since he got my number but come one like, why go to the bother if he's not going to at least text?? I'm probably over-reacting but I get a fair bit of attention from the opposite sex but rarely feel the same attraction so it's such a buzz to finally meet someone that I like, who initially anyways seem to like me too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why don't you get his number and get in touch with him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i agree completely with the above, why put yourself through the agony of waiting just for the sake of "playing it cool". If he likes you too he'll reply and all will be happy and well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

He could be waiting a day, so as not to seem needy, or whatever it is. Give him a few more hours.

He could be busy either. Or may not have gotten your number of your friend yet.

I've tought about it. I don't want to come on too strong. I mean he has mine and if he wants to get in touch he will.

I'm just trying figure out what's going through his head. He's been sitting on it since yesterday. Is it possible he's gone off the idea already or could he be like me and not want to seem to eager??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

Anyhow X's friend knows my friend who I was staying with that night. His friend send a text after the club saying that X was having a few people back and would love us to come. Now it was late and I was trying to play it cool so didn't want to be showing up, so we politely decined the invite.

Yesterday X's friend asked my friend for my number for him ... good stuff I thought. Since then nought. What could he be waiting for?

Could be doing the same thing. I doubt he asked for your number if he doesnt plan on contacting you so dont worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,027 ✭✭✭✭event

perhaps next time you wont "try and play it cool"

maybe his friend hasnt given him the number, maybe he has no credit, maybe he's working up the courage, maybe he's nursing a massive hangover, maybe he cant be arsed, maybe he lost his phone

or maybe its only been 24 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I've tought about it. I don't want to come on too strong. I mean he has mine and if he wants to get in touch he will.

If you aren't willing to get in touch with him then get on with your life and if he gets in touch he gets in touch.
    I'm just trying figure out what's going through his head.

You can't all you will do is wind yourself up about it,which is a waste of time
    engry and emotion.
    He's been sitting on it since yesterday. Is it possible he's gone off the idea already or could he be like me and not want to seem to eager??

Who knows what the reasons are, none of us do, if anyone gives a reason
    they are just speculating only way to know is to ask him.

event wrote: »
    perhaps next time you wont "try and play it cool"

maybe his friend hasnt given him the number, maybe he has no credit, maybe he's working up the courage, maybe he's nursing a massive hangover, maybe he cant be arsed, maybe he lost his phone

or maybe its only been 24 hours

OP here, in my experience it's always best to play it cool. Men just get bored if they think it's been to easy.

Well guys like to play it cool anyway so 24 hours is nothing. The fact you played it cool by declining the invite might make him play it cooler or be a bit more unsure. He might be trying to work up the courage to ring you which might take a few days. I'd be surprised if you don't hear from him in a few days or next week at the latest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

OP here, in my experience it's always best to play it cool.

Why? Not all men get bored if it's been too easy, guys who are shy or nervous or often just as intimidated at the thoughts of contacting someone they've met up with once.

If you are that keen then contact him yourself :)

If you are not going to contact him, then you'll just have to wait.

• Advertisement

oh my good god, he got your number YESTERDAY??? Give the bloke a chance. He prob wont contact you until at least tomorrow stop acting so desperate and give him a chance otherwise he will run a mile, if he hasn't contacted you by tomorrow evening get his number and give him a casual text.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

OP the guy could be thinking what to say, doesn't want to come on too strong and scare you off.
    The fact that the initial meeting was in a pub means drink was involved so he was running on that increased alcohol bravery, now he could be nervous and doubting wheter or not you were just drunk and may not be interested in him so he is afriad to do anythign that could make him feel stupid.

This simple answer if you are interested in seeing hima nd can get his number then thats another option you have available, or you can wait out and see if he does make that move.

But until someone does neither of you is going to know how the other person feels or even how you feel, until you meet again.

Trying to start any new relationship is a scary experience for both mena nd women and sometimes guys can chicken out not becasue they are not interested but just becasue they let some inner voice filled with doubt convince them it would be too risky.

None of this gives you a yes or no answer and no here can, but if your interested isn't it better you take a chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Terodil

- Do not play games with people you are interested in.
    - Get in contact with him if you really want to.

The fact that you are playing games with him but doing your head in over the question if he is playing games with you is just... beyond me I'm afraid.

OP Again, maybe I should, might wait until tomorrow and then get in touch if he hasn't by then. I'm sure I could get his number easily enough.

What would I even say? Hi??

I'm guessing you have little or no experience in relationships/dating. You already know he has asked for your number so leave it be. If it will make you feel better maybe get his number tomorrow and say something casual like "how was the head on tuesday I'm still wrecked" blah blah blah

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

OP Again, maybe I should, might wait until tomorrow and then get in touch if he hasn't by then. I'm sure I could get his number easily enough.

Yep, Hi x, it's y, we met on (relevant date) :)

Then ask how he is, and if he'd maybe like to meet up for a coffee or a drink?

Worst he can do is say no.

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Terodil

That's usually a good start. Get straight to the point and tell him what YOU want.

... what DO you want?

That's the problem here I think, you are not certain where you want this to go and try to rely on him to take the next steps.

Some ideas:
    - have a cup of tea together after work somewhere
    - meet up for lunch somewhere

I'm guessing you have little or no experience in relationships/dating. You already know he has asked for your number so leave it be. If it will make you feel better maybe get his number tomorrow and say something casual like "how was the head on tuesday I'm still wrecked" blah blah blah

No... what an unfounded assumption!! I've been in 3 significant relations ie 2+ years, plus another good 3 years on the singles/dating scene. I have plenty of expereince, I just usually do not have to do the chasing!!

Strange that everyone else in this thread has given the opposite advice

No... what an unfounded assumption!! I've been in 3 significant relations ie 2+ years, plus another good 3 years on the singles/dating scene. I have plenty of expereince, I just usually do not have to do the chasing!!

Strange that everyone else in this thread has given the opposite advice

Well you come across as extremely needy and desperate. Ime any guys I have been out with or friends have been out with never text before 48 hours or so and if they do they don't get a reply as it looks desperate. He obviously likes you or wouldn't have asked for your number just have a bit more patience.

Well you come across as extremely needy and desperate. Ime any guys I have been out with or friends have been out with never text before 48 hours or so and if they do they don't get a reply as it looks desperate. He obviously likes you or wouldn't have asked for your number just have a bit more patience.

I'm not needy or desperate. I've my pick of about 3 other guys at the minute. I just happen to really like this one. And ime they usualy text pretty much the following morning if I've met them out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Don't mean to offend you OP but your one of the type of girls which annoy me.

Playing games with him, pretending you aren't really interested, giving him your number and then giving out about him not texting you, and then when you are put into the situation of initiating something you essentially give out saying it's too difficult.

Either sh1t or get off the pot.

If your not really that interested then if he texts you he texts and get on with your life. If you are really interested get his number and get in contact. If he likes you he will be in contact back. That is generally how these things go.

kevmy wrote: »
    Don't mean to offend you OP but your one of the type of girls which annoy me.

+1. No offence OP but you sound quite up your own ar$e aswell. You say you really like this guy then quit playing your childish games and get his number and contact him, it sounds like it's really bothering you so why are you hanging around by the phone waiting for him to text??

Did you by any chance have this kind of I can have my pick of any guy I want attitude when you were with him the other night? If so I wouldn't expect a text any time soon.

Kevmy read the rest of the thread will you, looks like you didn't even read my initial post!!

I obviously am interested. I'm not pretending I'm not interested at all, just not don't want to come off as desperate as the other poster put it.

I didn't give him my number, he got it off a friend and I don't have his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Met a really nice guy Monday night lets call him X. First time I've actually felt I clicked with someone in ages. Anyways we chatted for ages and had a little bit of a snog(initiated by him), then I went for a dance with the girls, ended up chatting to other people and before I knew it night was over and my group of friends were leaving.

Ok I know it's scarcely been 24 hours since he got my number but come one like, why go to the bother if he's not going to at least text?? I'm probably over-reacting but I get a fair bit of attention from the opposite sex but rarely feel the same attraction so it's such a buzz to finally meet someone that I like, who initially anyways seem to like me too.

Probably doing the same thing you were, and wanting to play it "cool".

I imagine a couple of million people throughout history never ended up together due to this tactic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

I'm probably over-reacting but I get a fair bit of attention from the opposite sex but rarely feel the same attraction so it's such a buzz to finally meet someone that I like, who initially anyways seem to like me too.
    I'm not needy or desperate. I've my pick of about 3 other guys at the minute. I just happen to really like this one. And ime they usualy text pretty much the following morning if I've met them out.

Hmm, you seem to like yourself :D
    Is it possible maybe you like him because he hasnt texted you straight away?!
    Rob_l wrote: »
    None of this gives you a yes or no answer and no here can, but if your interested isn't it better you take a chance?

Exactly.
    Take a chance OP.

Typical Irish begrudgery, god forbid anyone would have a bit of confidence. I am attractive and not afraid to say it. I work hard enough at staying in shape.

I never once said I could get any guy, I said I had 3 chasing me at the minute, sorry to tell you but there is more than 3 men in the country. Touch of jealousy perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭drusk

He's just not that into you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK folks. Lets all take a chill pill. Read the OP's original post and all the replies before jumping in. Thanks

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Typical Irish begrudgery, god forbid anyone would have a bit of confidence. I am attractive and not afraid to say it. I work hard enough at staying in shape.

I never once said I could get any guy, I said I had 3 chasing me at the minute, sorry to tell you but there is more than 3 men in the country. Touch of jealousy perhaps.

Great, now that is out of the way, having met him, do you think he is also playing it "cool"?

If so, i would simply advise either contacting him or patience. Whichever route you prefer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement