Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband (DSL) - How to get?

Options
  • 18-03-2009 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi!

I moved to a new house and I'm completely lost when it comes to broadband here. I saw on www.uchoose.ie that BT is available in Ranelagh so I rang BT and asked if they could install BB and Phone in my apartment. The operator asked my phone number :confused: I told her I don't have a phone number and that's why I was ringing them :D and she said they couldn't install DSL Broadband if I don't have a phone line (hehe obvious huh?). Anyway, I didn't really understand how things work here, going thru boards.ie and other sites what I could understand is that:

1. I need to contact Eircom and get a landline.
    2. Contact BT and switch my landline to them.
    3. Ask BT to provide me DSL Broadband.
    4. Well... contact Eircom and cancel their services ?

Is that it? It seems so complicated! :eek: What about the Eircom contract (6 months, 1 year)? Anyone could give me some guidelines on how to get DSL broadband for those without a phone line?

Anyway I checked Irish Broadband and NTL, the first I was told that their BB is horrible, the second unfortunately is not available in Ranelagh.

Cheers,

Leandro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

leandro wrote: »

No, yes, not really, no.

eircom provide the line. Once you have that, you can get DSL from BT, but keep the line rental and calls with eircom. It's cheaper to bundle it all together though, so you just ring BT and ask to have everything with them. You don't do this separate from your broadband order though, as I can guarantee you that they will fuk it up.

You have no further contact with eircom. If you ring eircom to cancel the line, they'll boot BT off it.

I'd advise you consider anyone other than BT though. As a company, BT Ireland is a complete shambles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

Hi!

I moved to a new house and I'm completely lost when it comes to broadband here. I saw on www.uchoose.ie that BT is available in Ranelagh so I rang BT and asked if they could install BB and Phone in my apartment. The operator asked my phone number :confused: I told her I don't have a phone number and that's why I was ringing them :D and she said they couldn't install DSL Broadband if I don't have a phone line (hehe obvious huh?). Anyway, I didn't really understand how things work here, going thru boards.ie and other sites what I could understand is that:

Is that it? It seems so complicated! :eek: What about the Eircom contract (6 months, 1 year)? Anyone could give me some guidelines on how to get DSL broadband for those without a phone line?

Anyway I checked Irish Broadband and NTL, the first I was told that their BB is horrible, the second unfortunately is not available in Ranelagh.

Cheers,

Leandro

I'm also in Ranelagh, I done it all with BT.

Told them I did not have a working phone line, they arranged to get the eircom engineer to enable it.
    Rang BT then to order the phone/broadband package.
    Got it installed.

All done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,858 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have not really had any problems with BT and would recommend them.

Going through a third party to order a line connection, often causes issues, which is why you're better off ordering this with the people who actually do the work.

If you've read any of the all too common billing issues with BT, you wouldn't choose them. If you've experienced these problems first hand, you certainly wouldn't recommend them. For me, both situations apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 leandro

So basically I activate my phone line with Eircom. When Eircom finishes activating my phone line they should provide me with a Universal Account Number and my telephone number. With that in hands, I call BT and order their Talk + Broadband package. Is that it?

That will take longer than I had imagined...

• Advertisement

Why would it take longer? If the line is already in place, it will be activated in a matter of hours. All you need then is the UAN. If you order with BT, it could take a hell of a lot longer.

I ordered a brand new line, and within 3 weeks I was with Smart (an LLU operator that normally takes longer to set up than the resellers).

Hi jor_el! In my opnion we should be able to make all this in one phone call to only one company. IMHO to get broadband should be so straight forward that I shouldn't be here asking these questions. I did what dangerousdavid said, I rang BT and asked them to activate my phone line and install the broadband, I hope it works.

Just for curiosity... What happened between you and BT that you were unhappy with?

You should be able to do this with one phone call, yes, but don't for one second think that you actually can. I believe that in the majority of cases, it won't work.
    I rang BT and asked them to activate my phone line and install the broadband, I hope it works.

I really hope for your sake, that you don't come to regret doing that.
    Just for curiosity... What happened between you and BT that you were unhappy with?

If you have a few spare minutes, read this, which is what I sent to BT's CEO. There's another 15 pages of documentation between myself and Credit Solutions Limited (BT's debt monkeys), the Credit Services Authority (an agency that CSL are a part of), and the UK Information Commissioners Office (data protection), but I've left that out.

8 months of hardship over a 50 euro bill, when they actually owed me money. If you've chosen to go with this company, you're mad.

Well... the expected happened! :D

BT didn't manage to activate my phone line, so I canceled my order within 10 days, called Eircom and activated my phone line with them. Now I'm just waiting for my account number to arrive. The problem is that Eircom said that there wouldn't be any charges to activate the line, after 5 days they sent a mail charging 20 bucks for the activation... :eek:

I will call Eircom tonight to see what is the story...

Jor_el, definitely should be easier... :rolleyes:

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i have over 500 customers in meath, about 15 of them have bt broadband, and about 10 of them have problems with billing.

If you can get bt dsl in your area then you can get eircom dsl.

the benafit of eircom is that althougt they are charge more the bill work out much cheaper because they can use a calculator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

If you can at all stay away from BT - they are nothing but trouble.

If you can get eircom to install the line.

Once this is done then you can shop around for a broadband provider.

I'd recommend going with Smart Telecom above all else.

Last option for adsl would be BT

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi jor_el! In my opnion we should be able to make ............................

Do a search on boards for bt billing.

Advertisement