Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell XPS vs. Macbook

Options
  • 18-03-2009 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Just looking for some opinions. Basically I am buying a new laptop, and have narrowed my search down to the Dell XPS 13.3" and the Macbook. I use my laptop for:
    • Internet & Email
    • Music - I've a nice bit, about 15GB, but only listen, no recording or anything
    • Notes for college - I'll be starting a very intensive course in the next year, so will depend on the laptop alot for PDF's, viewing animations etc.
    The reason I am pushed towards the Mac is I have an iPhone 3G, and like the thoughts of having the Mac to complement it. Also the size and portability is very attractive.

I'd appreciate any advice/opinions on these two laptops.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Studio XPS 13 is a much more powerful machine than a Macbook, and probably a bit cheaper. It's just as well put together. It's a really classy piece of kit, and unlike the Macbook, it has a dedicated graphics card, rather than integrated. You might also save a few quid if you get lucky.

Only reason to buy a Macbook, is because it's a Mac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I have seen some Studio XPS 13 users complain about problems with their machines, so I would research it before buying. Obviously every laptop has someone with problems, but ive seen quite a few, so just keep an eye out.

You'd only really buy a Macbook if you specifically wanted Mac OS. You don't get great specs for the money. Buying one because it matches your iPhone doesnt seem like a great way to spend a grand, but each to his own I suppose.

Sony make some nice 13" laptops, and for Macbook money you'd probably get a higher-specced machine. So maybe check some of those out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Thanks for the advice guys, food for thought.

Anyone have any recommendations other than the XPS? As long as it is about 13.3" inch screen and around the €900 mark I'd be happy. Siding with the Dell now, as when you do take a step back from the asthetics of the macbook, it is a fairly underpowered machine for the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JustEnough

I can share my experience of the Dell xps 1330, and its pretty typical I think. I wouldnt consider the Mac on a cost basis, they dont represent good value.

The XPS WILL break, 4 of my friends bought them on my recommendation and theirs have all had their motherboards replaced. They have all suffered the same problem as I have, the graphics chip is dodgy and over time the heating and cooling of that chip causes it to fail. Thats an acknowledged problem of the nVidia 8400m (and 8600m) chip, its not necessarily Dells fault.

If you buy the Dell, get the longest warranty you can afford, you are in a good position to haggle on the warranty cost and its worth trying.

I had the motherboard replaced twice in 9 months due to the dodgy gfx chip and last month it died again but in a different way. Unfortunately for me it was a month out of warranty, and the fault was not the same as the previously fixed fault so Dell wanted 506 euro to replace the motherboard.

When it was in-warranty I can say Dells tech support staff and engineers were very professional and nice to deal with. When it was working it was a great laptop, light, small, and fast enough for most tasks.

The whole tone that experience changes when it is out of warranty, you no longer deal with tech support and you are transferred to the sales people.

I dealt with 3 different salesmen on 3 different dates, each of them was incredibly pushy and each of them lied.

e.g They said:
    The laptop retails for at least 1500 euro, never less than that.
    Alternatively sourced parts will never have a warranty, from Dell or otherwise.
    A 250 dollar replacement motherboard I had found online was equivalent to over 400 euro.
    Technical details on the replacement procedures are only available to Dell engineers and not the general public.

Ironically, the high failure rate means there is an abundance of spare parts available online at reasonable rates. I've since replaced the motherboard myself for a total of about 250 euro and 2 hours of my time. The part number is PU-073 and the technical manuals are available here.

When it works its great, when it breaks make sure you have a warranty :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I have the XPS 15" and its a great laptop. For the price of a macbook you could kit out your xps with 2.6GHz processor and lots of ram

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Studio XPS 13, and XPS 1330 are different models, with different motherboards/GPU's in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JustEnough

Dartz wrote: »
    Studio XPS 13, and XPS 1330 are different models, with different motherboards/GPU's in them.

Thats true. Whats also true is the original poster never mentioned the studio line, only xps.

Advertisement