Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard Drive - Software to copy/update automatically?

Options
  • 18-03-2009 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

I am using external hard drives to get folders of large TIFF files (photographic images) off my desktop's hard drive to free up space.

Ideally, I would like to be able to point an external hard drive at my desktop and have it copy *only* new items in the image folders. i.e. retaining what it copied previously and not delete it just because it is no longer on the computer's HD.

Is the any software that will *copy new*, so to speak?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

SyncToy sounds like what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Do you use Lightroom for processing your images? You can do it with that by setting up a 'watched folder'. Once any new files are dropped in there, it will copy the files over to your harddrive straight away.

If not, you can use 'syncback' to sync two folders or just back them up. By creating your own profile you can choose what to do, backup, delete files when finished, only update the newest files etc. Great little tool.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Cheers guys.

Sync Toy is perfect.

The "Contribute" option is exactly what I need!

Thanks.

D.

ps. Don't use LR. Stricly ACR!

Advertisement