Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Press releases and contacting media

Options
  • 17-03-2009 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm trying to do up a press release about a website launch (in my sig), I've got one done out but I'm not really sure if its good enough. Does anybody have any tips on writing them?

I'm looking to send it around to newspapers and radio stations, what is the most effective way of doing this? Should I just send it to the newspaper's email address or email them asking for the contact details of the journalist who would write about this sort of thing?

Also if anybody has any ideas on good ways to market a site like this i'd love to hear them! Thanks.

Gerry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭jollygood

You need to buy the Irish Media Contacts Directory (google it) - it lists all the papers, journos and relevant contact details in Ireland. Costs about €90 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

There is an art to writing a good press release-has to be informative, catchy yet very much to the point. In other words useful for whoever may decide to print it. It also must be of "local" interest if you are going to target regional papers/radio. Also include some quotes from yourself to give it clout. A press release is very different to creating an article or content for a site.

Put yourself in the journalists shoes and ask yourself is this newsworthy enought to add to our publication or not. Consider online press releases too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Unless it's something spectacular or for charity then new websites don't make any sort of news nowadays. They come and go all the time.

You will be very lucky if any journo picks up on it.

Try looking up some web design or techno Irish blogs, maybe they will plug it on their blog.....be warned though, if the blogger doesn't like your site then it may result in bad press.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MrLuke

Moncrieff (I think) did a piece on carswop.ie the other day, so some media outlets are picking up on such things. And from what I could tell that site isn't a million miles away from the OP's site.

You do need to ask why is this newsworthy, but a new site starting off with few posts isn't going to be all that appealing to media outlets. I'd suggest trying to build grass roots support for the site, get regular users and then look to get publicity. It is kind of how do you get one without the other, but why should a media outlet give your new venture space ahead of all the other new ventures starting out?

Maybe try local papers first? They will print anything (in my experience, sometimes even the bad grammer and spelling).

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

MrLuke wrote: »
    Moncrieff (I think) did a piece on carswop.ie the other day, so some media outlets are picking up on such things. And from what I could tell that site isn't a million miles away from the OP's site.

You do need to ask why is this newsworthy, but a new site starting off with few posts isn't going to be all that appealing to media outlets. I'd suggest trying to build grass roots support for the site, get regular users and then look to get publicity. It is kind of how do you get one without the other, but why should a media outlet give your new venture space ahead of all the other new ventures starting out?

Maybe try local papers first? They will print anything (in my experience, sometimes even the bad grammer and spelling).

Thats uncanny! I think you're right about waiting for a proven article to show rather than an empty site. I think we should start by targeting small papers (university/local) first and build up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MrLuke

I really like the idea of the site. I posted something on my blog a few months back about bartering and how it shold be used more, especially now. There's going to be plenty of people time rich and cash poor. But will need the service your website provides in order to connect and get value from their time.

Best of luck with it, if I can help you out in any way let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

Gerry87 -Feel free to PM me your press release if you want an honest appraisal.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Hey DW, that would be great, I'll send the draft I have. Personally, I think it's quite bad, I've sat down with a blank page a few times and keep coming up with basically the same thing, which is why I haven't sent any out yet. I'd love to hear thoughts on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Alcatel

A press release is a means to an end. The end? A plug for your site? No: A story for the journalist to write about. A press release has to hook the journalist quickly, right at the headline, and be relevant... Over the top, it goes in the bin. Boring. It goes in a bin. If you have a real story to tell, tell it quickly - remember, fast moving and busy journalists - and provide the details they'll need in bullet format to craft a story. Then, like all cold pitching, 1/10 will pick it up. Then you pitch your next story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭byrne0f56789

Check out this press release grader. It's excellent and free.
    http://pressrelease.grader.com/

Just copy and paste your press release into it and it will grade it out of 100 and tell you how to improve it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement