If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony W5500

Options
  • 17-03-2009 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

Will you be stocking any of the new Sony W5500 range. I believe they are being released at the end of this month. I would be interested in the 52" but I'm not sure if you stock the larger sized models. Thanks.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Yep,

we should start seeing the 5500's over the next couple of weeks (I think the 32" is actually due in this week) I hvae not heard about the 52" but I'll fire an email off to purchasing and post as soon as I get some news,

Thx for the post,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

johnmc wrote: »
    Yep,

we should start seeing the 5500's over the next couple of weeks (I think the 32" is actually due in this week) I hvae not heard about the 52" but I'll fire an email off to purchasing and post as soon as I get some news,

Thx for the post,

ATB,

John Mc

Thanks John, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

I'm also interested in the W5500 range, in particular a price for the 40W5500.

John, when you get these will any have the currently almost useless MPEG4 tuner or be UK models with MPEG2?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Codpeas wrote: »

John, when you get these will any have the currently almost useless MPEG4 tuner or be UK models with MPEG2?

Afaik, with sony models for europe(UK or not) would have the mpeg4 tuner That was the way with last years models anyway. If its the same this year which it almost certainly will be, a 40w550U (U denoting UK model) would still have an mpeg4 tuner despite the UK not using mpeg4. Its aint economical for sony to go mixing and matching tuners for slightly different model variations

• Registered Users Posts: 48 lollipop08

Hi John
    i would be interested in 46w5500, any sign yet???
    Yep,

Thx for the post,

ATB,

John Mc

• Advertisement

Guys,

here is the W5500 update as far as I know it at the moment!

32W5500 - in stock
    37 & 40 W5500 available in limited quantities from the 10th April.
    46 & 52 W5500 still no news on arrival I'm afraid

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you and please drop me a line if I can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Codpeas wrote: »

Well, there's absolutely no point getting a TV in Ireland with Mpeg2 as we will be using Mpeg4 for terrestrial digital transmissions. Also, All TV suppliers in Ireland should ONLY be selling TV's with tuners that conform to the Irish standard of digital terrestrial TV tuner and not UK models which will NOT work here to receive digital broadcasts.

Komplett distribute their new stock of TV's with the correct digital tuners for the Irish market rather than just re-use TV's sold for the UK market.

Far as I know, both the Irish and French have the same digital terrestrial standard along with a number of other European countries, so it's not just Ireland that Phillips, Sony, Samsung et all have to cater for.

Nobody should buy a TV in Ireland without the correct digital terrestrial tuner for the Irish market and no shop should be selling TV's in Ireland without the Irish tuner. though I do realise how easy it is to just sell on your UK stock, it's not a particularly nice customer friendly approach.

Nehaxak,

Thanks for your message and I agree with you!

We clearly outline to Customers which TV's have MPEG4 or not and we are exactly the same as Komplett in that we sell TV's that are UK spec and TV's that are Irish spec.

I feel that the whole launch of MPEG4 in Ireland is being handled really badly and there is virtually no Customer information coming out from Boxer or the Dept of Comms either to the retailer or to the consumer - to date as an AV retailer we have not yet received one piece of paper from Boxer or Government informing us of the technology or timetable for the launch of MPEG4 in Southern Ireland - and I have previously posted at length in this regard both on the RS forum and the MPEG4 forum - so I am a little upset that you feel that our Customer service is poor!

Also the TV under discussion here is actually an MPEG4 compliant model - so we really are not trying to push an MPEG2 model onto an unsuspecting Customer.

The other point you may consider is that Richer Sounds Belfast is in an MPEG2 area and we do also have to cater for our Northern Ireland Customers - the ideal will be when all manufacturers incorporate MPEG4 & MPEG2 tuners like most Sony & new Philips models....if only!

Thanks again for your post and hopefully you will see from our previous posts that we are not in any way trying to pull the wool over our Customers eyes.

ATB,

John Mc
    Nehaxak wrote: »
    Well, there's absolutely no point getting a TV in Ireland with Mpeg2 as we will be using Mpeg4 for terrestrial digital transmissions. Also, All TV suppliers in Ireland should ONLY be selling TV's with tuners that conform to the Irish standard of digital terrestrial TV tuner and not UK models which will NOT work here to receive digital broadcasts.

Komplett distribute their new stock of TV's with the correct digital tuners for the Irish market rather than just re-use TV's sold for the UK market.

Far as I know, both the Irish and French have the same digital terrestrial standard along with a number of other European countries, so it's not just Ireland that Phillips, Sony, Samsung et all have to cater for.

Nobody should buy a TV in Ireland without the correct digital terrestrial tuner for the Irish market and no shop should be selling TV's in Ireland without the Irish tuner. though I do realise how easy it is to just sell on your UK stock, it's not a particularly nice customer friendly approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Well, there's absolutely no point getting a TV in Ireland with Mpeg2 as we will be using Mpeg4 for terrestrial digital transmissions. Also, All TV suppliers in Ireland should ONLY be selling TV's with tuners that conform to the Irish standard of digital terrestrial TV tuner and not UK models which will NOT work here to receive digital broadcasts.....

Given that many people subscribe to either SKY or UPC I think you overestimate the importance of the tuner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Sorry John, I was generalising, not aiming at yourselves in particular when I said "... though I do realise how easy it is to just sell on your UK stock, it's not a particularly nice customer friendly approach."

The regulatory authorities here have released the information, they just haven't bothered their arses making much of a fuss about it at all...

http://www.rtenl.ie/downloads/RTE-FTA-DTT-Receiver-Spec.pdf

Also, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56 is a good forum to keep up-to-date on digital Terrestrial in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Nehaxak.

thanks for that and I agree - the Govt and Boxter need to engage arse and get it in gear - that RTEnl doc is not exactly user friendly! It's a sorry state when the best source of advice for the public on MPEG4 is Boards!

BTW how come that the MPEG4 threads are not incorporated into the HE forums? would appear logical?

ATB,
    J Mc
    Sorry John, I was generalising, not aiming at yourselves in particular when I said "... though I do realise how easy it is to just sell on your UK stock, it's not a particularly nice customer friendly approach."

The regulatory authorities here have released the information, they just haven't bothered their arses making much of a fuss about it at all...

http://www.rtenl.ie/downloads/RTE-FTA-DTT-Receiver-Spec.pdf

Also, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56 is a good forum to keep up-to-date on digital Terrestrial in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ianomcd

Hi John

I am due to be in Belfast tomorrow and am wondering if you have any of the Sony 40W5500 in stock yet (I read the indicative date of 10 April)? I'm lost in the whole Mpeg2/4 conversation, but will need the TV to be useable in Dublin (with NTL Digital). Grateful if you could let me know if you have them in stock for collection tomorrow, or if not, can they be delivered to the store in Dublin, or to my house?
    Also thinking of the Sony BDPS350 Blu Ray player - any in stock?

Thanks in advance, Ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cilldara

Hi John,

Please add me to the list of interested customers re the 5500. I've mailed you directly in the last few days about the Samsung B650, but either the Samsung or the Sony would suit me in a 40-inch model!

Many thanks,

Cilldara.

Ianomcd wrote: »
    Hi John

I am due to be in Belfast tomorrow and am wondering if you have any of the Sony 40W5500 in stock yet (I read the indicative date of 10 April)? I'm lost in the whole Mpeg2/4 conversation, but will need the TV to be useable in Dublin (with NTL Digital). Grateful if you could let me know if you have them in stock for collection tomorrow, or if not, can they be delivered to the store in Dublin, or to my house?
    Also thinking of the Sony BDPS350 Blu Ray player - any in stock?

Thanks in advance, Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

Guys,

here is the W5500 update as far as I know it at the moment!

32W5500 - in stock
    37 & 40 W5500 available in limited quantities from the 10th April.
    46 & 52 W5500 still no news on arrival I'm afraid

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you and please drop me a line if I can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc

Hi John, Just wondering if you received any of the 40W5500's as expected on the 10th? From your site, it says available in-store, is it possible to have these delivered too?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

dec2000 wrote: »
    Hi John, Just wondering if you received any of the 40W5500's as expected on the 10th? From your site, it says available in-store, is it possible to have these delivered too?

Thanks

FWIW - I got a 'no' with regard to delivery of 40W5500 when I asked that question on the phone the other day. Picked up mine this afternoon - YAY!!!:D:D:D

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.