Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lock nut problem

Options
  • 16-03-2009 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

A friend of mine just bought a car about a month ago.
    unfortunately Hes got a puncture now and he wasnt given the key to the lock nut.
    He contacted the last owner but still no luck on anyone finding the key. :(

Any suggestions as to where a kit or something can be got to remove the nut?
    Weve tried everywhere in the newbridge area, so anywhere else in co kildare should do.
    and it's a saxo, if thats any help!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

A Drill Will work but is a little excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jerrehpips

The halfords remover looks worth a shot, theres one down in naas anyway

And as for the drill? I doubt he'll mind, he'll probably get a new set of lock nuts afterwards anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

You could also try hammering a socket one size smaller than the nut onto it and going to town with a hammer and chisel..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Duff wrote: »
    You could also try hammering a socket one size smaller than the nut onto it and going to town with a hammer and chisel..

I'd go this way, or welding a a socket to it, whichever is easier for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jerrehpips

Well, heres how it went...
    he bought the lock nut remover kit but it was too big for the alloy
    But we eventually got it off by hammering the socket onto it
    i swear, if he gets another puncture, im not helping :D
    thanks for all your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

He would be better taking off all the lock nuts now, in case he gets caught out in a thunderstorm and has to try get it off then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

Duff wrote: »

This IS they way to go, i've done it 100's of times, few skint knuckles but other than that its the way forward.

Advertisement