Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing herbs in pots - soil type ?

Options
  • 15-03-2009 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hello, I'm a container gardener with a very specific conditions which I'll share later - essentially my question is this What type/mix of earth should I use for growing herbs in pots ?

Would you go for plastic of pot containers ?

I'm in Paris so the summer is hotter and drier than Ireland. I don't have a garden, I'm limited to exterior pots which get a max of two hours direct sunshine, between 11aam and 1pm, per day and are then in the shade.

I kill at least one Basil plant a year so I'm giving up on them but I thought I'd try my hands at a mixed herb container this year ... husband, Ponster has requested chives, lemon thyme, rosemary .. I fancy sage and perhaps mint. Could they all go together ? For some reason I'm thinking a sandy mix for rosemary but I'm not sure. What do you think ? Quick drying soil ? All ideas gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The sunshine requirement for most herbs is quite high, so the lack of sun could be a problem, but not that much of a problem if the area is at least very bright. (There's direct sun, brightness with no direct sun, shade and deep shade - you'll need one of the first two for rosemary, sage, thyme etc.) You want as much sun, and failing sun as much light, as possible.

Use clay pots for herbs that like it dry, and plastic for herbs that like moist conditions (like parsley and chives).

Keep them out of the wind, and in the warmth - most herbs hate the cold.

Always water herbs from the top and never allow the pot to stand in a water-filled tray, unless you've been remiss and the soil is bone dry - then water from the top and allow the plant pot to stand in a tray of water for about 15 minutes before pouring off the excess.

Soil - and you can plant the groupings below together in one pot as indicated by groups:

(Terracotta pot)

Thyme = 1/2 garden soil, 1/4 compost, 1/4 sand, a little lime, prefers it dry
    Rosemary = 1/2 garden soil, 1/4 compost, 1/4 sand, a little lime, prefers it dry
    Sage = 1/2 garden soil, 1/4 compost, 1/4 sand, a little lime, prefers it dry

(Plastic tub)

Chives = 1/2 garden soil, 1/2 compost, a little lime, keep moist
    Mint = 1/2 garden soil, 1/2 compost, keep young plants moist
    Parsley = 1/2 garden soil, 1/2 compost, do not let the soil dry out

(Plastic tub)

Basil = 1/2 peat-based compost, 1/4 sand, 1/4 compost, keep moist

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭See Ye

Brilliant, thank you.

Advertisement