Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype/webcam as a teaching tool

Options
  • 15-03-2009 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Not sure if this is the correct forum or not - apologies in advance if I've got it wrong.

Just wondering if it is possible to teach a skill, such as golf or acting remotely through the use of a webcam, as follows:

The person being taught is filmed on webcam which is viewed by the instructor (in another part of the country/world). The student wears a headset and can therefore receive instructions from the teacher. This would allow a golf professional to analyse a swing, or to view a person acting and pass on instructions. While I know there are serious limitations with this as a teaching methodology I would love to know if it is technically possible?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah I suppose it's technically possible, but there'd be practical limitations... like having to set up a laptop at the driving range... and I don't think grainy 640x480 video at 5 fps is going to be enough information for someone to fine tune your swing... grip and stance maybe. <shrugg>

And for acting, I'd imagine the crackles and minor breaks in audio would make things quite hard.

For some people with high bandwidth and good equipment it might be good, but there are plenty of people with dodgy connections and crappy equipment... so it'd be hard to guarantee much I think.

Wireless with skype is great though, I was talking to a friend in Australia... he just picks up the laptop and brings it outside to show me the outside of the house, that was very cool :D
    Who'd have thought it'd be that easy 20 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sotiris1

But you would be better to bring a camera crew in for 500 euro and turn your Golf lessons into a product then you can resell it many times.
    Or else get some one to film it with a decent camcorder.

Advertisement