Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hungry badger

Options
  • 15-03-2009 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭

Here's a pic of the badger that happened onto my doorstep last night.

hellosunshine.jpg

Not really sure what to make of it. He didint run when i stood looking at him, or even when i started to take a picture or two. He waited till he licked the bowl clean.

So, is this really unusual? Ive heard thay carry disease and are angry little guys if you get close enough but i dont see the harm in it.

Thought i'd see what the Boardsies think.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sean.carolan100

Leave it alone. Badgers turn like that, And because,as you said, they carry disease's and if they attack someone (using there claws) they can infect you with whatever they were carrying. Just leave it be and wait for it to go and if it's not gone call the dspca , because badgers are protected by law.

*Badgers can kill a large dog
    *They can near sever a limp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I am feeding a badger here for years. They are solitary animals and as cuddly as they look are not to be "tampered" with. As to the "diseases", they carry no more of them than any other wild animal. You can live in perfect harmony with the little buggers if you leave them in peace and don't try to touch them. They are very noisy eaters ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Get a tin of treacle mix in loads of peanuts & you will have a happy badger. I have rescued many & still have all my limbs. Just treat it with respect & give it a little distance.

Make a Johnny Kingdom style feeder by making some holes in a plastic container, put in some peanuts & then hang it from a tree so that's it's just within reach. Just make sure that the rope is tough !.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

One of them used to come up and sleep on our tarmac. We had the worlds toughest jack russell at the time and even she didn't mess with it....they seemed to have had agreed some sort of truce :D

They're beautiful animals though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Thanks for the replys guys. I guess he was just hungry. Yes, they are cute but im not silly enough to risk opening the door. I will keep an eye out for him.

The only other time i see badgers is usually road kill :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

amazing, i'm very jealous! i've never seen a badger (apart from remains by the side of the road :mad:) & am a bit obsessed with them! thanks for sharing!

If you want to know more about Badgers join your local Badger group. Your SPCA or the Wildlife Warden will have details.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Hi Peter they love peanut butter aswell .

They love peanut anything !. Mind you peanut butter & peanut treacle has some serious calories !

Advertisement