Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netbook advice

Options
  • 15-03-2009 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi want to buy my mum a netbook for mothers day. Would have to be XP and willing to spend between 200-300. What types would people suggest and where is best to get them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Rather then start another thread, I'd kinda like to ask the same question seeing as the market is flooded with eee type laptops. I'm looking for something along the eee 900 spec, and am just wondering is there any offerings among the competition that are worth looking at?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The two I'd recommend are the samsung nc10 and the advent 4211c. Both are similar in spec but the nc10 has a bigger hard drive (160GB compared to 120GB) and longer battery life (about 6 hours compared to about 2 hours) but it is more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

The two I'd recommend are the samsung nc10 and the advent 4211c. Both are similar in spec but the nc10 has a bigger hard drive (160GB compared to 120GB) and longer battery life (about 6 hours compared to about 2 hours) but it is more expensive.

Samsung nc10 - nice. Would be on my shoping list if I could justify it. But anything with an Advent badge I wouldn't even look at, my predudice after having a bad expereince with a whole batch of them a few years back, spec was fine but build quality was dreadful.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ttm wrote: »
    Samsung nc10 - nice. Would be on my shoping list if I could justify it. But anything with an Advent badge I wouldn't even look at, my predudice after having a bad expereince with a whole batch of them a few years back, spec was fine but build quality was dreadful.

The advent 4211 = MSI Wind. They are exactly the same. Hell my advent is even running the MSI Wind Bios. It's just a re-badged MSI wind for considerably less cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Quite true advent 4211 = MSI Wind but then just the thought of DSG support would put me off - don't forget I did say I was predudice about the advent name and that would be one reason. On the other hand if nothing goes wrong then cheapest is best.

I would also guess if you get the NC10 from PCWorld you would be stuck with the same support, as one of the ways PCWorld keep the prices down is to provide there own support and not pay the OEM for it. I have been caught like that a few times calling support for brand name items bought in PCWorld, "sorry sir we don't support that even though we make it you have to use PCWorlds support"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ttm wrote: »
    Quite true advent 4211 = MSI Wind but then just the thought of DSG support would put me off - don't forget I did say I was predudice about the advent name and that would be one reason.

You're right there Ted. I haven't had any issues with mine, had it since October/November, although i doubt they'd want to look at it with the mods i've made to it! But you're right, customer support was not something i was even considering.

Advertisement