Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new build

Options
  • 15-03-2009 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

hi all,i'm nearly finished wiring my house and need some advice.i have run a coax and cat 5 to each room and 4 coax and 2 cat 5 to t.v location all returned to a central location,should i be well covered with this,or would i need to run more?i don't want to make things over compilcated either.also what i want do is plug my ipod to surrond sound unit,but also have speakers in the hall and bathroom,but i want to conrol the volume for each of these seperately,what kind of cable do i need for surround sound(140w speakers i think)and what cable to the other speakers?,i take it i run cable to the volume controls unit and then to the speaker.i was also thinking of putting a speaker outside the back in the facia,is this possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

hi all,i'm nearly finished wiring my house and need some advice.i have run a coax and cat 5 to each room and 4 coax and 2 cat 5 to t.v location
    Two cat 5e cables to Each TV point if you want to distribute HD every where as well as your BB cable.
    also what i want do is plug my ipod to surround sound unit
    Most modern AV amps have a Iopd Dock available for it.
    speakers in the hall and bathroom, back garden/outdoors
    Again the AV amps come with a zone2/3 option
    but i want to control the volume for each of these seperately i take it i run cable to the volume controls unit and then to the speaker
    Yes a line volume between the speakers and the amp would work
    what kind of cable do i need for surround sound(140w speakers i think)and what cable to the other speakers?
    The ansiluary speakers are not that important so light to midrange (26 to 42 strand )
    The surrounds are personal choice, but I have always bought high grade speaker cable for my lead speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 conbon

IMO you should not use anything less than 79 strand or (1.5 square)for speaker cable. If you are running it yourself you should avoid it going alongside powercable/ transformers etc

You might be wise to run 4 x coax cables to the south east corner of the building this will cover you for satellite requirements.
    Also run two pieces to the roof for DTV aerials.
    The co-ax cable that you are running should be double screened RG-6.
    The run of the mill crap coax would be ok for distributing analogue signals but DTV (mpeg4) will be much more demanding.

Also run one piece of phone cable to your comms area from your eircom point.
    No probs putting speakers in your eves just make sure they are moisture proof in-ceiling type then silicone the edges. Would not do this if they are those plastic eves though. What about using one of those rock speakers?
    C

Advertisement