Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVG 8

Options
  • 15-03-2009 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭

I have avg7.5 on my pc and it works fine, but now i'm getting messages notifying me to upgrade to version 8.

But ive read mixed reviews about it on the web, some say its resource hog..so have any of you tried it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Your use of 7.5 will eventually expire so you'll have to upgrade to 8 or change over to something else. I've not had prolonged use of it, using Avast myself, but I didn't notice it hogging much RAM. What are your system specs? If you're running Vista with 1GB of RAM and a Celeron processor then I would think about changing to something else rather than upgrading.
    If on the other hand you've got a nice system, then I doubt there's much to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

Got a message from AVG Re. updates for 7.5.
    They told me that updates will end shortly for this edition.

I checked the AVG Site and it was confirmed that it was going to happen.

I uninstalled 7.5 and installed 8.5 and I find no problems with it .

Copy your avg 7.5 to disk in case you want to go back to it as a temporary measure if 8.5 is not doing it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Dixy

Was talking to a mate of mine who runs www.pcscomms.com about this the other day. Had the same problem i was using 7.5 and was getting annoying messages about upgrading so he installed 8.5 on a test machine and said it is no more memory hungry than 7.5. There are some annoying bits that can be turned off like the link checker which checks links in google with a big correct mark but like i say it can be removed in the settings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭numbnuts

LinkScanner is a new security component included in the AVG 8.0 Free Edition, which provides the Search-Shield functionality. Its purpose is to scan all results of the supported Internet search engines (Yahoo!, Google, MSN), and provides you with an evaluation of a safety level of each found website. At the same time, the LinkScanner also checks all Internet addresses typed into the address bar of your browser, or linked on other websites.

If you wish to install AVG 8.0 Free Edition without the LinkScanner component, or uninstall this component from your program, please proceed as follows:
    • Download the AVG 8.0 Free Edition installation package from our website.
    • Run the installation with the parameters /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch. One way to achieve this is to:
    o save the AVG Free installation file directly to disk C:\
    o open menu Start -> Run
    o type
    c:\avg_free_stf_*.exe /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch
    • The installation will be started, and AVG will be installed without the LinkScanner component.

Paddy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

The first time I installed 8.5, the pc really dragged, so i uninstalled it. I've since upgraded again, following the annoying messages - when reinstalling it I unchecked all boxed other than the antivirus, and it's not a problem. I wouldn't be afraid of recommending it with that advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Is the 8.5 version free?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

i have it on a netbook(samsung nc 10) no problems at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭numbnuts

Esse85 wrote: »
    Is the 8.5 version free?

Link.. http://free.avg.com/download?prd=afe

Mind you I would use Avira Antivir Personal before I would use AVG ..

Paddy...

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

i have avg 8 for 11months now im getting a banner up saying i must download 8.5 before 30 april its 53euro. what do i do. is it the end of 8 or is there somthing else i can get for free

Advertisement