Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

antivirus

Options
  • 15-03-2009 1:49pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭

new user to linux just installed ubuntu 8.1 on a spare p4 pc do I need to install antivirus anti spyware ect ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

mp22 wrote: »
    new user to linux just installed ubuntu 8.1 on a spare p4 pc do I need to install antivirus anti spyware ect ?

Nah you should be ok

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

ok thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

Avast! do a freeware antivirus for Linux home users. You just have to register. Helpful if you're trading files between yourself and Windows users. It's a good idea to give things a quick scan, just in case you accidentally transmit one on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,282 ✭✭✭corkie

Visit here for more info.

mp22 wrote: »

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

thanks I will get avg the pc will be networked to others better safe than sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,282 ✭✭✭corkie

Just re reading the link, I provide you. interesting thing is the free version will only detected virus. (not remove or quarantine them). So going with avast or another option for linux (i.e. clamav).

If your using your box as a server, or want to protect a small home network (up to 10 license use's). You could try something like Astaro free home edition.

Probably over kill for your needs as well!

Haven't the need for it myself, but would love to test out to see if it lives up to it's reported usage and as advertised on a certain security podcast!

Regards,
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

There is also ClamAV http://www.clamav.net/

It installed fairly handily for me on Backtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

Dartz wrote: »
    Avast! do a freeware antivirus for Linux home users. You just have to register. Helpful if you're trading files between yourself and Windows users. It's a good idea to give things a quick scan, just in case you accidentally transmit one on.

correct me if I'm wrong but a windows virus would have no effect on a linux machine??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

As a courtesy you should scan any executables you plan on passing to a Windows user.. You don't know what it is like to give data that hobbles a friend or work colleagues PC. You get the scrunchy eyes of mistrust for weeks\months\years afterwards whenever you hand over a CD\DVD\USB Drive..

Never mind that the person that got infected didn't have any AV, YOU passed it on..

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

Would linux antivirus software detect windows viruses?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

correct me if I'm wrong but a windows virus would have no effect on a linux machine??

Correct. It can't find the C: drive cos there is none.:)

Would linux antivirus software detect windows viruses?

Yes, I think that's the main reason for running AV on a linux machine, to protect windows machines on the network.

Advertisement