Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell battery

Options
  • 15-03-2009 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi, I have a Dell XPS laptop, It's not 18 months old yet but is heavily used and recently when I turn it on I've been getting a message saying the battery has reached the end of it's useable life. Now the orange light is flashing all the time. Is it new battery time and if so where's best to buy?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

18 months is a bit short. It's possible something has malfunctioned inside the battery itself, either part of it's circuitry, or one of the battery cells has blown itself. Either way, it's new battery time.

If one cell has gone, whatever caused it to go might take the others down. If the circuitry has gone, then your battery won't charge/discharge properly, or report it's charge levels correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

18 months is actually pretty normal if the battery has been regularly used. These things only have about 300-400 charge cycles in them, so if you're doing a full charge/discharge every day or two, you could easily have a battery gone in 18 months, or less. That's just the nature of the technology unfortunately; it sucks :pac:

You can get replacement batteries from Dell, but they are pretty damn expensive. I got a new XPS battery from a UK ebay seller recently; it was a genuine Dell battery unlike most of the crap on ebay, and went for around 1/2 the Dell price. I would stay away from most of the junk on ebay, you just don't know what you're getting, some of those knockoff batteries are very dodgy in terms of quality/safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I've used this guy http://myworld.ebay.ie/black-cat2&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID on eBay a few times for PSU's and Batteries. I always check around for the best deal and provided you figure in the fact he only supplies genuine Dell Batteries he seems to be the cheapest around. Having said that I guess with P&P it will cost you between 90-100euros for the 9 cell version. Don't get the cheaper 6 cell version as they don't seem to last as long not just off the mains but in general life span as they have to work harder.

As this is the second time this weekend I've recommended this guy I better say I have no affliation with him whatsoever, but might try asking for discount if I need anything from him again ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Actually that's the seller I was talking about too :D

Advertisement