Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCp end Linux support

Options
  • 15-03-2009 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting a little fed up with WoW and I thought I'd give Eve another bash. Never made it through the tutorial before but it looks like a good game and has a native linux client so why not?

Went to the download page - Windows and Mac client only. Huh? I know there was a Linux download link before! It took a bit of rooting but then I found this
    As of March 10th, CCP will no longer offer Linux support for EVE Online

WTF? They were one of the leaders in Linux support. One of the first to port a game native and offer full support for it.
    however, we want to be sure our Linux players don’t get left behind so we’ve put together a guide that explains some work-around solutions
    The options they link are Wine, wine-doors (aka wine), playonlinux (aka wine), Cedega (aka pay-for-wine) and Codeweavers (aka Cedega).

So let's have a look at winehq. Bronze in Intrepid. In other words - good luck getting it to work cos we can't.

Gee thanks CCP! Or, as my granny would put it - **** you. You've just lost a potential account. And from looking at your forums there's a lot of Linux players there so you've probably lost a lot of actual accounts.

Well played.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

No great loss tbh. Besides, the Linux "version" wasn't even native.
    Transgaming provided the WINE like wrapper for the "Linux" version.

At least there is plenty of other decent native games under linux.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It mightn't have been a native port but they provided deb and rpm clients and gave full support. Their loss not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Well, technically, your loss, not theirs. They wouldn't discontinue support unless it costed more to support than they got back in loonix-based subs.

Arf :)

Advertisement