Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tekken

Options
  • 15-03-2009 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭

Have to say, Tekken, particularly Tekken 3, was the only game I ever really warmed to!

Other than Power Pete - if anyone remembers that gem, I'll be delighted!
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Wow, you're really missing out!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Tekken Tag Tournament is my favourite from the Tekken series. The graphics and the controller were a big step up in quality from the PS1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Might check it out sometime!

I'm just too intimidated to play games now - too much choice, too many consoles and too much advertising jargon!

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Have to agree tekken tag was deadly. The mini games were great fun

toe_knee wrote: »
    Have to agree tekken tag was deadly. The mini games were great fun
    I'd forgotten about them :) Tekken Bowling was great fun until I discovered one of the characters (I think it was Yoshimitsu) could aim their throws courtesy of a laser sight or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

1. Go to Dr. Quirkey's on O'Connell St.
    2. Check out the Tekken 6 cabs.
    3. Play until your hands are sore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Tekken 4 was bloody awful, so I switched to Virtua Fighter. Never looked back. I like that there's a consistent system for high/mid/low moves. In Tekken every single move connects differently with every other move. When there are so many characters it just gets waaaaay too complicated in high level play.

Tekken 2 did take up a huge amount of my life though. Awesome game for its time. But I can't really dig the series anymore.

Tekken 4 was bloody awful, so I switched to Virtua Fighter. Never looked back. I like that there's a consistent system for high/mid/low moves. In Tekken every single move connects differently with every other move. When there are so many characters it just gets waaaaay too complicated in high level play.
    I can't argue with you over Tekken 4, I was quite disappointed with it too!

Can you explain what you mean by "a consistent system for high/mid/low moves" and "In Tekken every single move connects differently with every other move"? Don't both games basically follow the same mechanics?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Have to say, Tekken, particularly Tekken 3, was the only game I ever really warmed to!:D

I'm kinda hoping that this is a serious over generalisation.
    I mean, to say that Tekken 3, a great fighting game, is, for you, the pinical of videogaming is rather disturbing to tell the truth.
    All the years since Tekken3's launch and nothing, but nothing has been released that takes your fancy?
    Have you never bought another console, perhaps, since the PS?
    Given you user name maybe a Playstation and a Gameboy are the only machines you own?

Go buy a PS2 immediately and get Ico, SOTC, Virtua Fighter 4 and Dragon Quest XIII, then get back to us.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm kinda hoping that this is a serious over generalisation.
    I mean, to say that Tekken 3, a great fighting game, is, for you, the pinical of videogaming is rather disturbing to tell the truth.
    All the years since Tekken3's launch and nothing, but nothing has been released that takes your fancy?
    That's a good point CiDeRmAn. I took it to mean that the OP was making their point in relation to the Tekken series only. Now that I re-read the post properly I am also concerned. Tekken 3 is what, 12 years old? Has there really not been another game that appealed as much in that time? That's the entire lifespan of the PS2 for a start and it's huge catalogue of games...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

malice_ wrote: »
    I can't argue with you over Tekken 4, I was quite disappointed with it too!

Can you explain what you mean by "a consistent system for high/mid/low moves" and "In Tekken every single move connects differently with every other move"? Don't both games basically follow the same mechanics?

Nah, they're very different games. With VF every move in the game strikes either low, mid or high. That means the priority is Low attack beats High attack. And that Mid beats Low.

With Tekken every move has a different priority with every other move in the game, instead of fitting into a consistent category across all the characters. So you not only have to understand the priority of your own characters move, but every other character in the game.

The result is it's pretty easy to get good at Tekken, but then you hit a wall where you have to learn phenomenal amounts of move priorities if you want to be 'great' at Tekken and play it properly competitively.

Virtua Fighter has a reputation as being less accessable but I think that's just a reputation. You can't play it by button mashing and get alot of flashy looking moves out. But once you decide to actually play it the games got a very smooth learning curve from beginner to expert. It's all about timing and mindgames. There aren't alot of complicated combos, or masses of information to learn.

Nah, they're very different games. With VF every move in the game strikes either low, mid or high. That means the priority is Low attack beats High attack. And that Mid beats Low.

Hmm, okay how to respond to this? First off the only Virtua Fighter game I played for any length of time is Virtua Fighter 4 on the PS2 so anything I say in relation to that series might be wrong :). I also haven't played a Tekken game in months. The CD tray on my PS2 has gone wonky and it takes a bit of coaxing to get CDs in and out. Anyway, from what I remember most of the Tekken moves are the same, they hit high medium or low. The exceptions are the unblockables which hit you regardless of what your character is doing and Kazuya/Jin/Heihachi's Wind Godfist which hits special mid. From what I remember in Tekken, the priority isn't always decided by which move hits where but rather which one can come out first e.g. a quick standing jab will beat a standing roundhouse kick. Is Virtua Fighter not the same?

I still don't understand this:
    every move has a different priority with every other move in the game, instead of fitting into a consistent category across all the characters.
    Are you saying that each character, regardless of physical characteristics, should behave the same? For example a ten foot tall robot should be as fast as a schoolgirl who in turn should do as much damage as a sumo wrestler? Surely a lot of the fun of modern fighting games has been in finding a character that matches your playing still. Do you go for the slow bruiser type or the weak and nimble type? Apologies if I've misunderstood you :).
    you not only have to understand the priority of your own characters move, but every other character in the game.
    I suppose this ties into the previous point as well. If you are controlling the weak and nimble character versus the slow bruiser character, you should be confident that, for example, the priority of your quick jab should beat their roundhouse kick. That doesn't necessarily involve learning other character's moves but rather having a decent knowlege of your own character's moves.
    The result is it's pretty easy to get good at Tekken, but then you hit a wall where you have to learn phenomenal amounts of move priorities if you want to be 'great' at Tekken and play it properly competitively.
    Again I would disagree to an extent. You have to learn moves and by learning moves you learn what moves are better in certain situations but that's surely something that applies equally to Virtua Fighter?
    Virtua Fighter has a reputation as being less accessable but I think that's just a reputation. You can't play it by button mashing and get alot of flashy looking moves out. But once you decide to actually play it the games got a very smooth learning curve from beginner to expert. It's all about timing and mindgames. There aren't alot of complicated combos, or masses of information to learn.
    I would say that versus a reasonable proficient Tekken player, button mashing won't get you very far either :). I would also say that Tekken is also all about timing. Combos are great but decent players will be guarding against situations that allow combos to be started. Of course, that's where the mind games begin :).

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Tekken 3:

*GULP* CHICKEN! :pac:

Loved Tekken Tag, used to practice on Eddy's stage all the time. Purely for music! I used to kick ass with Nina/Lee :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jakeskorpio

I'm a complete Tekken freak, but I didn't like Tekken Tag, and Im extremely disappointed Tekken 6 isn't coming to Wii.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Ah I love Tekken, 2 is my fav for nostalgic reasons!

I really enjoyed 4 and have enjoyed all the games in the series, Havnt really gotten into 6 though, very solid game but just have no interest in the story anymore

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,931 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As a fighting game fan I have to say Tekken is one of the worst fighting games available at the moment. I don't know how the hell it became popular. I was watching a fighting game tournament recently and when Tekken 6 comes on the atmosphere just nose dives since it's such a horrible game to watch let alone play. Street Fighter 4 and 3rd strike and some of the SNK games are what you's should be playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

tekken 2 really blew things out of the water,i remember staying up to 6 in the morning playing it when it first came out!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,593 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Fred83 wrote: »
    tekken 2 really blew!

Fixed your post :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,931 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm amazed Tekken became so popular since it was a piss take by Namco to rip the piss out of Virtua Fighter in my opinion. Tekken was crazy while Virtua Fighter had accurate depictions of martial art styles (apart from the floaty jump). It looked better than VF only on the consoles and that'swhy it won out. The Virtua Fighter series has always made a complete mockery of Tekken in gameplay terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Big fan of Tekken 2 and Tekken tag
    WAs only playing Tekken tag the other day with my mates and G/F:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

In some ways Tekken 2 was my favourite,it was the last Tekken to have music I liked. Good series but pales in comparison to Street Fighter.

Advertisement