Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Celica Oil indicator light

Options
  • 14-03-2009 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all.

I have a 1997 Celica ST 202 (Jap import). I recently changed the oil (used 10 w 40) and oil filter (used a Wix) and have noticed that the oil indicator light remains lit for about 2 seconds after I start the engine from cold.
    The oil level is fine and the car seems to drive fine too.
    I'm almost 100% sure that the oil indicator didn't stay on like this before I changed the oil and oil filter.
    Should I be concerned ?

Any advice greatly appreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Go out and check the oil level again. Did you check it after you ran the engine when you first put the oil in??? Once you start the engine, the oil filter has to fill up with oil and this will cause the oil level to drop again so you need to top it up after you first run the engine. Did you do this???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 celman

Thanks Darragh29. I have checked the oil level several times and it seems fine (just at the max level on the dipstick).
    Maybe the problem is the oil pressure as opposed to oil level. Ever heard of any problems with oil filters causing low oil pressure ?
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Not sure about the jap import celica's, but i know in all other toyota's i've being in, they are oil pressure lights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 celman

I contacted the previous owner and he said the oil I am using (10w 40) is 100% ok.
    He asked me about the oil filter I installed and said that Celica's need a "non-return" valve in the oil filter. Wasn't sure if my filter had a non-return valve so he suggested I get a genuine Toyota filter if I'm not sure.
    I installed the Toyota filter and the light remains on for less than 2 seconds now - 1.5 seconds improvement!
    So I reckon all is fine with the car and if anyone out there is looking for an oil filter for a celica make sure it has a non-return valve!
    ;)

Advertisement