Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High-speed technology 'key for green technology'

Options
  • 14-03-2009 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

Speaking from Herndon, Robert Pepper, Cisco’s head of government affairs said it was critical for Ireland to develop a high-speed broadband network. He said the current 3G scheme for outlying rural areas was not broadband. Mr Ryan said that this scheme is a “gap” measure.

This of course is my favourite piece:)

How many times does he need to be told that mobile technologies are not broadband?
    Nor will LTE come riding to the rescue, it'll be better but will never be real broadband.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

bealtine wrote: »
    He said the current 3G scheme for outlying rural areas was not broadband.

Good on you, Mr Pepper. If only someone in DCENR had done the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Thraktor wrote: »
    Good on you, Mr Pepper. If only someone in DCENR had done the same...

I suspect Cisco may have pulled a lot of that information from the IoffL website...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Exactly who has to say it before the government will believe it and actually try to solve the problem.

Gap measure my arse. Why not solve the problem properly instead of paying for a half-arsed solution?

thebman wrote: »
    Exactly who has to say it before the government will believe it and actually try to solve the problem.

Gap measure my arse. Why not solve the problem properly instead of paying for a half-arsed solution?

The whole thing smells of evoting machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

totally unrelated - but as it's mentioned.....The Telsa (which should be Tesla) very fast good looking electric car is pointless as it uses 6,000 laptop type batteries......Hydrogen is the way forward - or at least so claim topgear and James May :)

• Advertisement

crawler wrote: »
    totally unrelated - but as it's mentioned.....The Telsa very fast good looking electric car is pointless as it uses 6,000 laptop type batteries......Hydrogen is the way forward - or at least so claim topgear and James May :)

and on a similarly unrelated topic it's more green overall to drive a chieftain tank than drive a Toyota Prius.

Advertisement