Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who murder and say they were possessed...

Options
  • 13-03-2009 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

I always wanted to write a book and recently I've decided to go at it 'cos I've been thinking about it for long enough now. When it comes to the paranormal, I'm an open minded skeptic. Lately it has facinated me how so many Irish people over the last number of years, have claimed after murdering someone, that they were possessed or suffered some kind of loss of control that they put down to a manolevent entity having influence over them, that they say caused them to lose control and kill someone. I'm thinking of writing a book on this topic, taking a case study approach to the topic and writing a true crime/paranormal book.

I'm just wondering has anyone on the forum ever done anything like this before or are there any opinions on the subject of people who kill and point to the devil or an evil paranormal entity as the real cause behind what caused them to take away someones life???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

People have been studying this for years, No have never killed anyone or claimed to hear the devil. I would imagine some of these people are mentally ill and do believe they are communciating with the devil and others would be cute enough to try this as a way to delay or get off.

What approach are you taking to your book....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Google the "Defense Of Insanity"...

Im a law student and we divulged into that subject quite deeply, but not from a paranormal approach... More a medical insanity approach, However you might be able to find some info from the google search!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I had no idea it had been used as a defence much. It would make an interesting book idea alright, Id be curious as to what angle(s) you would take with it.

Anyone who knows me here knows I have an interest in spiritualism. So I -allegedly- speak to dead people all the time. So based on what I do, do I think they would possess me and have me kill someone? Nope. Never happen.

But thats by the by, as most people think Im doting in that respect anyway. :) I also agree that anyone who believes the virgin mary or beelzebub are making them do awful things are quite simply insane. Or pretending to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Lately it has facinated me how so many Irish people over the last number of years, have claimed after murdering someone, that they were possessed or suffered some kind of loss of control that they put down to a manolevent entity having influence over them, that they say caused them to lose control and kill someone.

Really? I don't remember seeing a trend of this. Could you name a few cases?
    Hogzy wrote: »
    Im a law student and we divulged into that subject quite deeply

"Delved".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Zillah wrote: »

"Delved".
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Zillah wrote: »
    Really? I don't remember seeing a trend of this. Could you name a few cases?

Google's your friend, do you not watch the news?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

sorry that I don't have much to add on the subject, just wanted to say best of luck with it as it would definatly make an interesting read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Im really glad to hear Oryx say that its not likely to be possessed by the dead and kill someone!! Thats always been my opinion,good to hear someone agree!!

I think that those people are mentally ill, its very sad but i have witnessed it. Usually there is an element of personal experience or personal belief within a patients delusions. They can also be very heavily influenced by events around them, even the media. Given the fact that until very recently religion played a HUGE part in Irish lives i dont think its surprising that patients include religious ideation in their delusions!!!! Just my opinion but i think it makes sense.

There is also the poss of people faking and using this type of defense as the sensational effects can cloud the facts!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

I'd say just about ayone can be influenced in this way.
    The Law of Attraction is the basis for it.
    Even the moon can heavily influence, as can a book, film, poetry, alcohol (or perhaps alcohol may just facilitate it), family, friends, events journalists, politicians, ect.
    It is more common than really believed, but because it seems like wearing a different mental hat, it was our own idea. Similar to hypnotism.

The best way to avoid undue influence is to always aim at the highest that you are capable of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭LCDeelite

I always wanted to write a book and recently I've decided to go at it 'cos I've been thinking about it for long enough now. When it comes to the paranormal, I'm an open minded skeptic. Lately it has facinated me how so many Irish people over the last number of years, have claimed after murdering someone, that they were possessed or suffered some kind of loss of control that they put down to a manolevent entity having influence over them, that they say caused them to lose control and kill someone. I'm thinking of writing a book on this topic, taking a case study approach to the topic and writing a true crime/paranormal book.

I'm just wondering has anyone on the forum ever done anything like this before or are there any opinions on the subject of people who kill and point to the devil or an evil paranormal entity as the real cause behind what caused them to take away someones life???

I think this is something worthy of consideration, not that claims of 'possession' are any excuse for doing heinous acts.. I read in a book by some Australian guy called Robert Bruce that murderers have negative entities residing inside their energy and astral bodies. These negative entities then supposedly induce their 'host' (the would-be murderer) to kill via telepathic or hypnotic means. No-one can say for certain whether or not any of this is true, but it's an interesting notion.

Well, it's been said that diseases manifest themselves in the aura long before they're detected in the physical body, so maybe it isn't a complete write-off to imagine some negative entity taking up residence there as well? I'm very 50/50 on all of this but I'm really intrigued by the possibility at the same time.

Nostradamus, when foreseeing Hitler's rise to political prominence, stated that Hitler would be psychically suggestible. If I recall correctly, Edgar Cayce said more-or-less the same thing..

• Advertisement

Here are a few examples of murderous loonies who may or may not have been 'possessed'. Would sociopathy and/or 'I had an awful childhood' cover all the bases when you think of the near-unimaginable brutality these people carried out?...

* Jeffrey Dahmer

* Fred West

* John Wayne Gacy

* John Haigh

* Ted Bundy

* Josef Fritzl

* Joseph McColgan

* Albert Fish

* Gary Ridgeway (Green River killer)

* Harold Shipman

Whoops, I almost neglected to mention that other crazie, German uber-weirdo, all-round-madman, Peter Kurten..

.. Lately it has fascinated me how so many Irish people over the last number of years, have claimed after murdering someone, that they were possessed or suffered some kind of loss of control that they put down to a manolevent entity having influence over them, that they say caused them to lose control and kill someone.

I'm unaware of there being many Irish murder cases where the perpetrator(s) claimed to have been influenced by a malevolent entity, but here's a recent case of that nature..

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breaking-news/ireland/mother-found-not-guilty-of-murder-by-reason-of-insanity-14192770.html

It doesn't say so in the article, but in other reports I read Prendergast alleged that Holy Mary herself no less (!) instructed her to kill her own daughter because the devil was in her. That Prendergast woman will be in psychiatric internment for the rest of her days, methinks..

Here's another story where some Dublin guy called Henry McLaren finished off his uncle with an axe. McLaren told the Gardai that Jimi Hendrix had told him that said uncle was the devil! The actual quote from McLaren is hilarious!
    ""He said he was the devil. I am a man and Jimi is a woman. We are a couple." :pac: :D

http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/?c=IRELAND&jp=mhojgbsnmhey&d=2008-04-09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

Oryx wrote: »
    I have an interest in spiritualism. So I -allegedly- speak to dead people all the time. I also agree that anyone who believes the virgin mary or beelzebub are making them do awful things are quite simply insane. Or pretending to be.

Are you implying that other people percieve that you speak to dead people but you don't really? Or are you actually claiming that you speak to dead people on a regular basis (and also making the assumption that they speak back somehow)??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

It might simplify the point if it were realised that there are no 'dead people' but there are those people who many in this world think to be 'dead'.

Speaking to them is easy, picking up any reply is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

hiorta wrote: »
    It might simplify the point if it were realised that there are no 'dead people' but there are those people who many in this world think to be 'dead'.

Speaking to them is easy, picking up any reply is not.
    It would certainly simplify it, but it would be pure speculation, so it's probably better to stick with the facts

Advertisement