Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you upgrade the graphics card on the Asus g71v? Please help?

Options
  • 13-03-2009 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I want to know if the N 9700 GT is upgradeable to a higher spec card. Please help as I can not find the answer anywhere.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I highly doubt it, Asus usually use GPUs that are part of the main board.

If you own one, you could pop it open and look; the only way theres any possiblity of upgrading is if the card is MXM-standard, and even then you can only upgrade if the bios supports it, and the heating solution is capable of taking it. And even then, finding MXM laptop cards is like finding hens teeth, if you can track them down you'll pay through the nose for them.

If you don't own one, don't bother with it. It sounds like you care about graphics, and the 9700M GT is a fairly run-of-the-mill 128-bit card. Doesnt deserve to be in an expensive laptop, and those Asus are pretty damn expensive :pac: There's better value around these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 the-nth-warrior

Sorry I left the M out of the card specification .I understand that the 9800M GT is far superior but the Asus has the quad core extreme processor at 2.54GHZ.This processor alone carries a 1000 euro premium on Alienware:mad:. Here is the link to the vendor’s site so you can clarify for yourself what is going on here. This is the flagship of Asus machines and I can not see them putting in a card that would not last at least 2 years. I would appreciate your opinion.:) I also understand the 9700M GT is an overclocked 9600 GT.C Net U.K also gave the Asus 9/10 and got the editors choice?

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=ECE1624278

It is better that your copy and paste the link into the adress bar.cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Well, you said it yourself, the 9700M GT is not a tier-one graphics card, it's just a touch above a mid-level 9600M. That laptop is all about the quadcore, which will be fantastic for processor-intensive applications, about as good a laptops get these days. But if you want something with the best possible GPU, i'd look elsewhere. So it just depends on what you need the laptop for.

Its not really their flagship either, that would probably be the new G71gx (see thread a few days back), or maybe the W90vp.

Do now of any vendor in Europe that has it? Do have the specs? I would like to have a look.

• Advertisement

I just had look on line.It seems It seems to be a compromise between processors.Yhanks for the help.Cheers.

Advertisement