Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco to introduce euro-sterling parity on clothing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

What clothes can you buy in Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

What clothes can you buy in Tesco?

Pretty much anything! The one in Clare Hall has a good selection of clothes for men, women and kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭nobeastsofierce

Cynical me suspects they'll/already have brought out an Irish range of clothes? Or are the socks marked two pounds actually available/sold in the UK? If so, kudos to them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/business/tesco-to-introduce-eurosterling-parity-on-clothing-1672331.html

You can now buy clothing in Tesco for the sterling price and pay in euro.

As the article says, clothing will now be 7% less in the south compared to the north.
    How is this a bargain?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Bluetonic wrote: »
    How is this a bargain?

That's my line!
    I don't understand how they can charge a parity price when the vat difference on adult clothes between the UK and Ireland is 6.5%
    Tesco Ireland have explained price differentials in the past due to higher rent, utilities, labour, insurance & exchange rate - have all these suddenly changed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

snubbleste wrote: »
    That's my line!
    I don't understand how they can charge a parity price when the vat difference on adult clothes between the UK and Ireland is 6.5%
    Tesco Ireland have explained price differentials in the past due to higher rent, utilities, labour, insurance & exchange rate - have all these suddenly changed?

The can suddenly change cause there loosing a shed load of money to people going accross the border,

They have been doing this for at least a week, bought 2 shirts in their carrick store last monday and on the recept it showed a sterling conversion discount

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

aren't the clothes terrible?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

the corpo wrote: »
    aren't the clothes terrible?

Crap quality ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

The clothes aren't too bad. There's a Blue Habour line (at least I think that's the name) that does decent polo shirts for about 8 quid odd. And they're good for plain t-shirts too. I got a pair of jeans once in there that weren't bad either :pac:

And they're probably doing the parity because they're losing money to people going across the border and it's a way of getting people into the shop to buy food etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

i got a jeans for €4.50 a few weeks back that did quite nicely. I remember the sterling price being around £3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Why don't they do this with groceries if they are serious about keeping customers from going North.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

omega42 wrote: »
    The can suddenly change cause there loosing a shed load of money to people going accross the border,

They have been doing this for at least a week, bought 2 shirts in their carrick store last monday and on the recept it showed a sterling conversion discount

The sterling conversion in tesco stores has been going for a few months and is different to the sterling parity offer they are introducing on Monday.

The sterling conversion was introduced after complaints about the price difference noticed on dual priced clothing after the euro started to close in on the pound. i think the discount( or conversion) was 10%. But from Monday something that is say £10/E15 will be E10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Tesco don't seem to stock the full range of Mens clothing in their stores eg. Cork (Wilton + Paul St)

That said hopefully other UK and Irish retailers will follow this example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Brimmy wrote: »
    The clothes aren't too bad. There's a Blue Habour line (at least I think that's the name) that does decent polo shirts for about 8 quid odd. And they're good for plain t-shirts too. I got a pair of jeans once in there that weren't bad either :pac:

Blue Harbour is the M&S one, probably a similar style one (but maybe not quality!) i Tesco though...

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

it could be several things
    - loss leading e.g. selling below cost which i wouldnt believe as the margins on cloths are massive thats why they can do 50% off sales etc in cloths shops
    - they have told their suppliers this is what they are doing and their going to have to foot the bill, very common practice with supermarkets when it comes to promotions
    - end of season/line cloths to clear old stock or make way for new lines
    - free advertising, its in all the papers, websites etc that they are doing this and like Ryanair they are getting loads of free press and people automatically presume that they are cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

1,2 and 4 I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Brimmy wrote: »

And they're probably doing the parity because they're losing money to people going across the border and it's a way of getting people into the shop to buy food etc.

Blue Harbour is M&S or Debenhams brand I think - missus Josh590 got good value on some stuff for the kids yesterday - sterling to euro one for one and 10% off as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Whoop de f*ckin' do
    Come back when you drop your average grocery prices by 20%, instead of headline grabbing nonsense on stuff no-one really buys...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Dunnes have now dropped all the prices on their clothes. Amazing when they get put under pressure what they can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Its food i'll be buying in Tesco (if i stop shopping in the north), not clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Wertz wrote: »
    Whoop de f*ckin' do
    Come back when you drop your average grocery prices by 20%, instead of headline grabbing nonsense on stuff no-one really buys...

Couldn’t agree more - headline grabbing shower of thieves. YOU’RE STILL RIPPING US OFF!

Newry all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

I went there on Tuesday and got loads of childrens clothes for my daughter for summer - just some examples below:

2 pairs of shorts €3
    7 pairs of pants €2
    4 vests €3.50
    2 pack of sun dresses €6
    2 pack of vest tops €2.50
    Mr men t-shirts €4
    Sunglasses 75cent
    Tights 2 pack €1.25
    Black school shoes €4.50 and €7.50
    School runners (white soles) €4.50
    Swim suit €3
    Tankini €3
    Pack two fancy string tops €4.50

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Wertz wrote: »
    Whoop de f*ckin' do

there no pleasing some people.

when we're ripped off, we complain and rightly so, but when someone does something about it its Whoop de f*ckin' do.

if that was everyone's reaction there would be no point an any retailers offering good value.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

It has to be as a good move, PR aside. Prices have been coming down across the board with Dunnes and Tesco's for groceries, as I generally shop in both. Its happening slowly, but it is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

when we're ripped off, we complain and rightly so, but when someone does something about it its Whoop de f*ckin' do.

if that was everyone's reaction there would be no point an any retailers offering good value.

Its pure PR on behalf of Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Like Tescos recent full page adds with their prices ONLY MATCHING Lidl and Aldi and only on SOME products.
    Pure PR gimmick.

Im sorry but i just laughed at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I don't go to Tesco for clothes. I don't know anyone who does....up until this week there was a very limited selection of clothing in Tesco's homewares store (which is a spearate floorspace to it's grocery store where I live).
    I go in the other night for lunch stuff and I'm greeted with hangers full of clothes adjacent to the fresh veg section.
    Whoop de f*ckin' do is my take on it...what have they done?
    They've started selling clothing cheaper...clothing that I'd imagine they import from outside of the EU anyway in most cases so their own costs in buying them wholesale has fallen. They make a song and dance about it. Yet they sell these clothes alongside their continualy overpriced branded and own brand goods.
    Here's the thing about clothing too...clothing is not a weekly purchase...in many cases it's not even a monthly purchase.
    Fresh food and produce is a weekly purchase...Tesco have been increasing their prices across their range in a very stealthy manner over the past few months (see the thread in consumer issues), and to be honest, at my local Tesco (Dundalk) the last thing they should be or can afford to be doing is squeezing the pennies out of the last few customers who still don't bother to journey to the North for food.
    The use of their clothing range as both a PR excercise and a loss leader to increase footfall is somewhat cynical in my eye....when they can make large profit on their regular food sales, what's a breaking even or a small loss when it comes top an irregular, impulse purchase?

I feel so sorry when I go in there on pension day and see all the elderly people wandering around the store buying goods at such inflated prices...between those aged people and the other people who may not have the means to travel North regulalry, Tesco is creaming a profit, and then claiming they're doing great things for consumers by knocking a few quid off their clothing range.
    Every little helps eh? Bullsh*t is what I say.

I'll be the first to welcome change when it comes in food prices...I've already said on these forums that Dunnes stores are actually making an effort (although still a bit piecemeal) at reducing their prices on a lot of their goods (and making a further effort in their Drogheda and Dundalk stores), but Tesco have done nothing , NOTHING to lower thier costs. Notice too that their clubcard deals, money back offers etc are very low on the ground of late...must be a sign of their reduced windfall from bloated Irish consumers...

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Why give out about the prices of there food and that its all a gimmick with the clothing. Stop going there then. they can charge what they like but its still you who hands over the money for the product. Vote with your feet

Advertisement