Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italy v Wales (pre/during/post thread)

Options
  • 13-03-2009 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

130.gif128.gif
    Italy v Wales
    Saturday 14 March 2009, 3.00pm (Irish)
    Stadio Flaminio, Rome
    Live on RTÉ2, RTÉ.ie, RTÉ Radio 1; BBC1, BBC Radio 5 Live

Italy|No.|Wales
    Andrea Marcato|15|Lee Byrne
    Giulio Rubini|14|Mark Jones
    Gonzalo Canale|13|Jamie Roberts
    Mirco Bergamasco|12|Gavin Henson
    Matteo Pratichetti|11|Shane Williams
    Luke McLean|10|James Hook
    Paul Griffen|9|Mike Phillips
    Salvatore Perugini|1|John Yapp
    Leonardo Ghiraldini|2|Huw Bennett
    Carlos Nieto|3|Rhys Thomas
    Santiago Dellape|4|Luke Charteris
    Marco Bortolami|5|Alun Wyn Jones
    Alessandro Zanni|6|Jonathan Thomas
    Mauro Bergamasco|7|Dafydd Jones
    Sergio Parisse|8|Andy Powell

Italy replacements: Franco Sbaraglini, Martin Castrogiovanni, Carlo Antonio Del Fava, Josh Sole, Pablo Canavosio, Luciano Orquera, Roberto Quartaroli.

Wales replacements: Matthew Rees, Gethin Jenkins, Bradley Davies, Ryan Jones, Warren Fury, Stephen Jones, Tom Shanklin.

Referee: Alan Lewis (Ireland)
    Touch judges: Dave Pearson (England), David Changleng (Scotland)
    TMO: Geoff Warren (England)

This is the forgotten match of Round 4 of the 2009 Six Nations Championship, and probably for good reason. Almost every observer cannot see beyond a Welsh victory, despite the introduction of nine new faces in to the starting XV by coach Warren Gatland. Reports coming from the Italian camp suggest problems between the playing squad and coach Nick Mallet. The Italian press alleged that group of players wrote a letter to Italian rugby chiefs questioning Mallett, but that was denied this week by prop Salvatore Perugini.

On the field, there appears to be too much strength in the Wales team to be threatened by a limited Italian outfit. Despite the nine changes, Wales still boast potential first-choice players with Gavin Henson and James Hook coming into the backline, and a new captain in lock Alun Wyn Jones. The new Welsh faces will be looking to make a big impression with the visit of Ireland to Cardiff coming a week later.

The Italians are one of the teams that have suffered the most since the introduction of the ELV's, and while their pack remain strong, their backline are a mixed bunch. Paul Griffen retains his place at scrum-half, although there's not much in the way of creative talent outside him. Despite being at home, the Italians may be looking to damage limitation early on if the Welsh backline find a high gear.

I can't really see anything apart from a Welsh win, although the manner of it will depend on how the pack fares against a strong Italian forward line. Referee Alan Lewis may also have a part to play, and the Italians will need to make the most of every opportunity if they're going to have any chance of a result tomorrow. The Welsh backline, especially the back three, possess enough pace and talent to cause the Italians problems from deep, and it will be interesting to see who puts up their hand for selection against Ireland.

Italy 10 Wales 32?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Let's hope the Azzurri keep the score down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Wales will win but it's a hard call as too what the score will be, the welsh have been to say the least erratic so far in this 6 nations and the Italians will always put up a good defence. Hook's inclusion at outhalf is an interesting one as he never seems to move the welsh backline as well as Jones but he will do it slow and steady hopefully it will be less than 20 points in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

I know this is complete madness but there is a part of me that fancies Italy to win. I don't think Wales have played well so far this year and I think the Italians will be p***ed but Gatlands changes and will be well up for it. I'm hoping the Italian pack can dominate and reduce the amount of ball the Welsh backs get. If they get into the game Wales will win comfortably but I'm hoping (maybe against hope!) that Italy will do us a favour tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The last place Wales should be making changes in the pack is Italy in Rome. Think Wales have too much class to lose but think it will be a lot closer than most think. Wales by 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Italy will win. They have beaten full strength Wales teams in the past, they can beat there second string. I know rugby has moved on a bit since, but home advantage gives Italy a 10 point start IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Its a shame the Italians are going to try and move it a bit under Mallett because the simple truth is their backs are worse than useless. Up front they can take it to the Welsh. Playing 10 man rugby they'd easily compete but they won't, they'll make several mistakes in open play and the Welsh are ruthless on turnover ball. Wales by 20 points (most of them gifts from the Italians).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

haha this is great, Italians beating the Welsh and also look the strong team. Come on ITALY!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Go on Italy..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Italy winning by 3, some decent kicking and very strong up front.

Wales have been poor, but I still expect them to win.

Fair point by George Hook "If the championship was decided on 20mins game, Italy would win it every year"
    but I dont care, this is great!

2nd string welsh pack supposedly! I'm not sure but Italian front 8 always bring the pain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

haha this is great, Italians beating the Welsh and also look the strong team. Come on ITALY!!!!

some of their knock-ons are ridiculous though!! They seem to get altitude sickness when too high up the field!!

goin nicely for us so far though!! 6-7

9-7
    Italy for a major upset:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

G'wan Italy (sadly it'll peter out in the second half)

Don't think that was a try in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Go on Italia, destroying the Welsh scrum. First five-ten minutes of the second half crucial, Italy need to to score themselves and/or not concede anything. Then they may pull off the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

what a crap game..........comon italy.......zzzzzzzzz

drop goal! booo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

go Italy lol, wales really racking up the points

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

terrible game but it would be great (for us) for italy to win

It would be great if Italy won and then Enland&France was a draw or something like that, winner!!! but thats crazy talk and we wont say anything till the fat prop sings

• Advertisement

I feel we need to erect a statue to Parisse somewhere. Its more then justifiable by this stage.

It would be great if Italy won and then Enland&France was a draw or something like that, winner!!! but thats crazy talk and we wont say anything till the fat prop sings

we havent beaten scotland yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Is anyone got the feeling watching this game that a Grand Slam is getting a lot closer than it was an hour ago?

great stuff

12 - 7 Italy. Entertaining game in its own way.

NickNolte wrote: »
    Is anyone got the feeling watching this game that a Grand Slam is getting a lot closer than it was an hour ago?

it's like a black man becoming president... you just can't believe it is even a possibility until it actually happens!!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Come on Italy!!!!

Hope they win good for the sport over there and hope they get in to the ML nice few trips to Italy with lads

Craft25 wrote: »
    we havent beaten scotland yet!
    HuH!!! I said nothing bout Scotland I just said the above would be a good result for us?!

HuH!!! I said nothing bout Scotland I just said the above would be a good result for us?!

sorry man, i got from your post that you thought if this match & eng v fra went right then we'd have the championship in the bag already (winner!!!)

just pointing out we could lose the last two and still hand it to france in them circumstances

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Italy can certainly win this game. Plenty of time yet. But, I can't see Wales getting the points they really want to narrow the difference with Ireland.

Advertisement