Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turrican

Options
  • 13-03-2009 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

hey
    anybody know where i can get turrican for the pc and what joystick t use with it.
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Would be very hard to find a legit copy for PC, and even finding a PC ROM id say would be hard (i didnt even know it was out on PC tbh).
    Best off to get an Atari or Amiga emulator and run it on that. Most emulators can be configured to use a joypad/stick

Edit:
    Turrican 2 was savage tho. My favourite game on my Atari ST

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Simeadrach

Turrican was one of the first games I ever owned, way back on me old C64. :)

I still remember stayin up till all hours playin Turrican 2 when I was younger, and me Ma chewin the head off me for being up at 3 in the morning on a school nite.

Mmmmm fuzzy gaming memories :D

Managed to get an c64 emulater version a while back, i take it the amiga version'd be better tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

yes
    it was the best game i had on the c64.
    the gameplay was absolutyy unbeatable.
    turrican 2 was also brilliant.
    i have yet to play a game on any games console that kept me coming back for more,like turrican did.

whats an emulator or where can i get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Gotta say Turrican did kick ass. You can download Frodo, it's a free C64 emulator, and then try to find the Turrican game on one of the many C64 game sites. Love your username :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Mega Turrican was class on the Megadrive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I loved Turrican as a kid on the C-64. I still play it the odd time on a C-64 emulator. If you're looking for a similar game for the PC, try Hurrican. It's freeware and a lot of fun, especially with a decent joypad. I use a PS2 controller hooked up through a USB adaptor I picked up in Maplin.

The Hurrican download page is in German but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what to do. Click the Orange Download button, wait for a few seconds and the download should start. It's 40Mb so you might be waiting a while but it's worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

try looking up MAME on google.
    You can get all of the old arcade games you wasted your youth on, on your pc.

ned78 wrote: »
    Gotta say Turrican did kick ass. You can download Frodo, it's a free C64 emulator, and then try to find the Turrican game on one of the many C64 game sites. Love your username :)[/QUOTE

thanks very happy with it.

callaway92 Mega Turrican was class on the Megadrive

id imagine so

to malice and bobbb thanks for the links

downloaded hurrican looks very good all i need now is a joystick:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

TURRICAN wrote: »
    downloaded hurrican looks very good all i need now is a joystick:cool:
    That's good! I found it quite difficult but that's probably because I just don't have the reflexes that I used to :). Remember like in the original Turrican games that you should search every obscure corner of the levels. You never know when you'll come across a wall that can be broken or a hidden power up block.

Like I said in my previous post, I got a convertor for PS2 joypads. I had a look on the Maplin site but I couldn't find it listed. There are a few reasonable looking joypads there though like this or this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I'm told by Turrican purists that the ports weren't so hot and the C64/Amiga versions are the way to go. Although the version I played most was Universal Soldier on the Megadrive, which was just a sprite swap of the original.

I'd recommend any Turrican fans to try out a Data East arcade game which along with Metroid served as inspiration for Turrican. Alot of the weapons, and the graphic design are similar. It's called Psycho Nics Oscar and is one of my favourites. It has a great Gradius inspired powerup system and in the great tradition of 80's shooters if you die half way through its damn near impossible to continue. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UrPLBGxKl8

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,912 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Universal soldier was dreadful on the megadrive. However the sprite swapping they did to make it fit the license is hilarious.

Used to love these games on the C64 but I discovered Metroid and Contra on the nintendo systems were far better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Predictable Nintendo > everything response from Retrogamer. :D

Sometimes it's nice to appreciate something on its own merits. It mightn't be the best thing in the genre, or lack the polish you associate with a console game, but that doesn't mean it can't still have something to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

turrican what a game! Another great game though by the makers on the snes is the Amazing Rendering ranger 2 (japanese only release)

gfs_8823_2_1.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Turrican II had some of the best music ever to grace the amiga. There's some great clips of some of them being played live on youtube. It was one of those games that even when I completed it, I went back for more. I didn't really care for the third game tho...no lightning ffs!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,912 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Predictable Nintendo > everything response from Retrogamer. :D

Sometimes it's nice to appreciate something on its own merits. It mightn't be the best thing in the genre, or lack the polish you associate with a console game, but that doesn't mean it can't still have something to offer.

I did try my best to not mention Gunstar Heroes :)

Actaully I really like the Mega Turrican and Super Turrican games and Rendering Ranger is really good. However they became more linear and missed the point of turrican. I have to say Mega turrican really pushed the megadrive to it's limits. Full 360 sprite rotation and scaling and transparencies. Even Treasure never managed some of those tricks.

Advertisement