Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Collins The Musical

Options
  • 13-03-2009 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭

Anyone seen this? Its opening in Cork in a few days so I'm thinking of poping along. I have to say though I'm having trouble picturing this one in my mind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Hmmm.... Right now I can only imagine Michael Collins and DeValera prancing around happily. And I don't think that's what it'd be like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lolabug

worked on it last year. Definitely worth checking out. Would be interested to hear what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I've got my ticket now lolabug so I'll let you know what I think when I've seen it - I'm going on the 24th :cool:

Do report back will you? I'd be very curious to hear what it's like!

Well I'm crap at reviews but I'll be able to tell you if I liked it or not :p

• Advertisement

Well I guess I now know how they make a musical out of the Michael Collins story! I saw it on Tuesday night and I was very impressed; it was a very big cast which I wasn’t expecting with a great set, great acting, great singing & great music. So yeah I was very happy with it and judging by the standing ovation at the end I wasn’t the only one. There was many a damp eye at the end too with a lot of people brushing away a tear so it certainly drew people into the story.

The only down side was in a few places the music was very loud and pretty much drowned out the voices so you couldn’t hear what people were singing. You could hear that they were singing but just not make out the words if you understand me. For me it was most noticeable in the opening song but it cropped up a few other times too. Both my parents and my sisters mother in law commented on it so it wasnt just dodgy ears on my part.

Certainly if you get the chance when it goes on tour you should check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I havent seen it..but it sounds like a bad joke TBH

I'd be curious to see how they actually make it into a musical if it comes to Dublin. What type of music is in it John? Is it your typical musically stuff or is there any traditional style stuff to tie in with the subject matter?

Theres a mixture of both actually and it works well, plenty of uillean pipes & whistles along with the more usual type of music. Theres a promo video on youtube which can give you an idea of it although to be honest the video doesnt do the show justice. I'm very tempted to try and go back next week, I find things can settle in much better on repeat viewings of a show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b2rLKepV-Y

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

i haven't seen it yet but all i can say is fair play to brian flynn who wrote the musical it just shows the talent that we have here in ireland :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

I saw the 'preview' last year and it was fantastic. There wasn't a dry eye in the house at the end (mine included). Even though you knew the story (i.e. that Michael was killed at the end) people still gasped when it happened.

Heading along again tomorrow night and I can't wait. The only other time I've gone back to see a show in a theatre like that was with 'The Blood Brothers' and 'Singin' in the Rain'.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Was at this a while back, twas very good alright. Highly recommend it.

(Never thought id be posting in this forum!)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

Annette from Fair City was in it (apologies I don't recall the actress' name) when we went to see it the last time. Even she was in floods at the end of it. I actually have to say this - the death scene is very powerful.

Been hearding a lot of mixed reports back on this. If it tours I think I'll definetly check it out just to see how exactly they put it all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

as far as i know it will be in dublin <snip> for 3 weeks cant remember the date that was said though

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

hope to see it this coming weekend if i can grab some blue-shirts to come along :p

I spotted on the Cork Opera House website that its coming back to Cork for two shows at the end of July so if theres anyone in Cork who still wants to pop along then get booking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 jane says

BTW if anyone has been to this - is it performed live or is there backing tracks and overdubs? Hard to tell from the clip posted though it sounds kind of like a backing track and not a live orchestra/pit band

As far as I can remember it mentioned in the program that the uillean pipes were pre-recorded but I dont know about the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JennyQ4496

I was there last night and really enjoyed it! It is a very powerful musical and we were totally engrossed for the 2.5hrs.
    Not going to write a full review but just give a few comments. I would liken it a bit to Les Mis. Loved the clever link to "Mother Ireland", gave the production quite an errie feeling! Loved the guy who played Dev, fantastic performance. Loved the young lady who played Mother Ireland. Michael Collins himself is a very capable actor and singer but I felt his presence was not a strong as it could have been(that opinion is very influnced by Liam Neesons portrayal in the film).
    The performance was well received last night and got a standing ovation from everybody except George Hook who obviously was totally unmoved by it! (Ass***)

I think it is fantastic to see an Irish written, produced, acted etc musical up and running and a credit to all involved and it deserves to be supported and encouraged on hopefully its journey to Broadway, can't see it making it to London, a little hard for the brits to stomach maybe but I think the yanks would love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

My mum went to see this last night with George Hook (she won a prize with Newstalk?). Anyway, she said as a musical it was brilliant, with some very talented cast members, but historically and as a portrayal of Michael Collins it was rubbish.

I'm still unsure as to whether I want to see it or not. Although, if I can get a date with George Hook... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JennyQ4496

I saw George Hook there last night, in fact he cut across me and nearly knocked me over leaving the bar at the interval. I really sympatise with your poor Mum having to spend the evening with him, he looked bored out of his tree! He also was the only person I could see in the theatre that did'nt particpate in the standing ovation.

The programme clearly states that the intention of the writer was never to produce a documentry style musical on the big fella but rather a dramatic interpretation of Michael Collins life which they did! I call it artistic licence!

Please go and support the show if you can, it really is a powerful and passionate piece of Musical Theatre on our doorstep (by the way we travelled from Galway to see it) and avoid a date with George Hook at all costs!!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Saw it tonight and was very impressed.definietly better then what i was expecting.
    highly reccomend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kilkennyfella

I just came across this thread and thought I would let everyone know that Kilkenny Musical Society have chosen Michael Collins as their show for 2014.Dates and details havnt been finalized yet but it promises to be a great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭shmeee

I just came across this thread and thought I would let everyone know that Kilkenny Musical Society have chosen Michael Collins as their show for 2014.Dates and details havnt been finalized yet but it promises to be a great show.

Currently running in The Premier Hall Thurles until this Saturday performed by the Thurles Musical Society.

A truly amazing show and directed by the renowned Oliver Hurley.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I'm looking forward to the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

shmeee wrote: »
    Currently running in The Premier Hall Thurles until this Saturday performed by the Thurles Musical Society.

A truly amazing show and directed by the renowned Oliver Hurley.

It's a special one alright. Coolmine had a sell out in November for their run. Saw Oliver 's production in Tralee many years ago and loved it.

Advertisement