Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hen harriers

Options
  • 13-03-2009 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

a neighbour and i saw three hen harriers today flying over our land .In east mayo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

If you are positve they were hen harriers, then you should contact Barry O’Donoghue (NPWS) 087-9110715 or harriers@environ.ie, who is in charge of their HH project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Morganna wrote: »
    a neighbour and i saw three hen harriers today flying over our land .In east mayo

lucky you. There must be some juvenile forests within range then.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

nice bird

hen_harrier_photo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Just remember the asholes mentioned above will prevent the local landowners from doing anything on their lands just because a few hen harrierrs stray in to an area. Look up the ructions that this type of action has caused in the East Clare/ Southeast Galway areas, just because some gobshyte in Brussels decides they should be preserved :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Just remember the asholes mentioned above will prevent the local landowners from doing anything on their lands just because a few hen harrierrs stray in to an area. Look up the ructions that this type of action has caused in the East Clare/ Southeast Galway areas, just because some gobshyte in Brussels decides they should be preserved :eek:

Are you serious? this post comes across as if you really don't know what your talking about.
    You are trying to make it sound as if farmers would be stopped from using their land, which is rubbish.

The time and effort that went and goes in to the raptor projects in this country, not to mention the huge amount of funding that goes to farmers in just to try and get them to use a little less damaging farming practices and people like you try to spread fears like this so people are afraid to report sightings and the likes.

And before you post back with some remark like(what wound a towny like me know) or something similar, I was born, raised and live in the very rural countryside and our natural heritage is something that should be cherished and fought for, some of the damage that has been done cannot be undone but with projects like these a difference can and is being made.

Its because of thinking like you have shown in that post that our environment and native animals are in need of such projects and protecting.

Please people don't ever be afraid to report anything like this whether it be sightings or someone trying to do harm.

/rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Thanks Connaught have contacted the email you gave me.Yes they where defo Hen harriers .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Ya if your land has hen harriers on it, it will be worth a lot less due to all the Eu restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Superdaddy

liam7831 wrote: »
    Ya if your land has hen harriers on it, it will be worth a lot less due to all the Eu restrictions.
    How exactly? Farmers with their land designated as special areas of conservation (SAC) and Special protected areas (SPA) get extra payments for this. The land is usually upland bogs which have very little income anyway. The usual story though is that farmers don't think anybody should tell them what they can and can't do, but they have no problem accepting money from the EU:rolleyes:. Its sad to say we have to pay farmers to put up with wildlife on their land and not to destroy remaining habitats with REPS and farm plans. And still they moan about the wildlife.:mad:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I was reared and still live and work on a small farm and I/we love and respect all wildlife. I think its a terrible pity that alot of people/farmers do not feel the same.

So much greed now in this country, when all anyone can eat is one brekfast!

Morganna I'd love to have seen those birds.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Kristopherus,

I hope & trust that your mail was a mischievious wind-up (unoriginal if so), but I am going to rise to it in case there is a remote possibility you are sincere.

Wouldn't it be a shame if what you suggest above was even slightly true. If we really needed some person in Brussels to tell us the worth of what few unique treasures we still have in our little bankrupt wet green country and then "make us preserve it".

I am sorry you are so angry, and also that for whatever reason you haven't had time or space in your life to learn about the value and fragility of our own heritage.

You are not alone, there are a lot of Irish people who deeply dislike our native wildlife and regard it as an intrusion that gets in the way of autobahns and warehouses. Some people believe that we missed out on this element in our education - because we were learning about the modh coinníollach and the tuiseal ginideach when our colleagues in other European countries were learning about ecology. Maybe, maybe not.

In fact-ah we were led by someone for years, Bertie Ahern, who held similar views, and believed we had "more than enough snails and swans and fellas hangin' outa trees". We have learned since that said Bertie knew as much about ecology and balanced development as he did about economics.

I think there is plenty of land in Ireland, so much that in my part of Ireland it is stacked up in big piles, and if sites are needed for turbines or bungalow bliss or whatever we will find a corner for them, and there will still be plenty of space for Hen Harriers. Irish people are smart and inventive, there's room for everyone.

And Barry O'Donoghue is a good guy, and he is not threat to anyone. He likes Hen Harriers alright, and has spent years studying them so maybe that damns him in your book, not in mine.

Maybe you should spend a while in our wild uplands, watching Harriers sky-dancing in spring, or passing food to each other in the air in the summer, or testing the limits of aerodynamics in the winter, see sawing on the wind at what looks like the edge of stalling.

Failing that, maybe try a few weekends reading a few good books and educating your outlook, and reflecting on what a country ruled by your current espoused philosophy would look like.

I think it would look like Brussels.

Your friend,

LostCovey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Lost,
    Our friend Kristopherus wrote his above comments over 2 years ago.
    Anyway, is there any substance to this west Clare rumour, above ? Anyone ?
    For my part, one of the great things to look forward to over the coming autumn and winter is going searching for HH here in wild Mayo.
    Now, if only I could find that blasted WT Eagle ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Connacht wrote: »
    Lost,
    Our friend Kristopherus wrote his above comments over 2 years ago.
    Anyway, is there any substance to this west Clare rumour, above ? Anyone ?
    For my part, one of the great things to look forward to over the coming autumn and winter is going searching for HH here in wild Mayo.
    Now, if only I could find that blasted WT Eagle ...

Oops, thanks Connacht.

I never spotted the date, saw the last post and assumed it was a recent thread. Maybe Kristopherus has moved on since then.

It doesn't take SAS skills to kill Hen Harriers, or any harrier, because they fly so slow and low, and they are regularly persecuted because of this. Ecven on Royal estates. So sadly it may be true about two more being needlessly killed in East Clare, I hadn't heard about i, but these crimes are so hard to prosecute, that it would take a lot of information and people willing to stand up & give evidence to do anything about it.

Too many people thinking like Kristopherus thought 2 years ago for that.

LostCovey

Advertisement