Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlestone Paving/ Tegula Paving question

Options
  • 13-03-2009 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone can advise me on the following. I have a fairly small front garden in Dublin (Approx 5 metres x 4 metres) and there is a path leading to the door and some grass. I have on street parking for my car which means that sometimes i cant park outside my own house. The car has been scratched by other cars and broken into in the past but thats another story.

I was thinking of getting the whole font garden taken out of it and castlestone paving laid down so I can park the car. I will be looking to sell my property next year and I was just wondering if you were buying a house would you rather have a path and grass or have somewhere to park the car?(similar to pic attached)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

If i was looking, i would defo see the parking space as an advantage over a small garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Whatever option you select, all I say is ensure that design layout reflects some intelligent thinking and as well providing parking/garden space, the design also enhances the look of the house. Do you think the finish complements the house exterior?

For example, looking at the photo, what's the idea of the circle in the middle, do you really think it enhances the overall look? Looks to me as though they had no design ideas but had to do something, so somebody decided to put a circle in the middle. All a bit contrived and the colour of the circle is awful, it reminds me of melanoma?

Also why did they select a grey cobble for channel? Spoils the otherwise nice uniform appearance of the paving? Making the route of run-off to gulley a feature is silly?

That photo is a car park which might appeal to some, but most people would be disappointed at such a poor design and the lack of scope for even minimum planting.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tunner

that photo was for illustration purposes only. If I do get it done it will be a mix of grey and dark grey paving with a dark grey boarder around the edging. I think it would improve the appearance of the house but I am not a designer and these paving contractors are just that. Contractors. I dont think I would get a designer to design a paving project in such a small garden. I am open to design suggestions from those who might be more artistic than I...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

For example, looking at the photo, what's the idea of the circle in the middle, do you really think it enhances the overall look? Looks to me as though they had no design ideas but had to do something, so somebody decided to put a circle in the middle. All a bit contrived and the colour of the circle is awful, it reminds me of melanoma?

Also why did they select a grey cobble for channel? Spoils the otherwise nice uniform appearance of the paving? Making the route of run-off to gulley a feature is silly?

I laid some of this stuff last year and it is a real pain in the neck to lay but that is a different story. The circle is one of a set few designs that you can choose from and probably the best of a bad lot imo. It might have been better if the circle was the same colour alright but the contractor didn't go cutting these stones himself to form the circle.

"Making the route of run-off to gulley a feature is silly" Well would it be silly when the water is coming in your door because you didn't put one in? To me, that looks quite steep and I would have put one of those drain yokes in with the grid on it that you can walk across but the water falls through because I think that the water would overshoot that drain in heavy rain.

But as the OP said that is just for illustration purposes. Whatever you do, don't go taking this on as a DIY project as you will regret it because you will have to dig down at least 5" and backfill with hardcore if you are parking a car on it. There is a lot of work involved and don't be alarmed when you get a quote from a contractor because the materials are expensive and there is a lot of manual labour and machines involved.

I do think it will enhance your house because that paving is the only stuff that looks well if you ask me, not only in appearance but the parking space is a huge bonus. There a range of different colours and a contractor will give you the best advice, when he sees your house, on which colour to choose.

You could always tarmac aswell but I don't think it is as nice as the paving. Get a good contractor aswell because there is nothing worse than paving that is done incorrectly and it is very difficult to repair once it goes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    "Making the route of run-off to gulley a feature is silly" Well would it be silly when the water is coming in your door because you didn't put one in? To me, that looks quite steep and I would have put one of those drain yokes in with the grid on it that you can walk across but the water falls through because I think that the water would overshoot that drain in heavy rain.
    QUOTE]

I think you missed my point which was by using a different colour for the run off paviors, it not only clashed with the prevailing colour scheme but also draws unecessary attention to what is otherwise a run off channel. Hardly a feature? Much better finish ie more discreet if the contractor had remained within original colour spec. In relation to 'why would rain come in your door?' well indeed why would it if the project was correctly specified and installed properly? The 'drain yokes' you refer to aren't Acco Channels or for local drain ie gulley. Acco would be the more professional finish.

Have to disagree, but laying cobbleock is much easier, quicker and more cost effective than natural stone paving. That said the latter finish is superior in terms of looks, performance and longevity. It also requires much higher skils (not just design) but installation and workmanship but most importantly it offers greater potential for an 'overall garden finish'. Not for everyone perhaps, but nontheless what isn't?

It seems to me that paving contractors to have little if any practical knowledge of the planting requirements and therefore how are they to advise potential customers on planting schemes or gardens for that matter? But if all the customer wants is a utility ie car park space, well that's a different kettle of fish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement