Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Coolant Help! 2005 Astra

Options
  • 13-03-2009 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭

I was driving back from training last night and the red thermometer light came on (about 1 mile from home)and engine got hot, no damage I think though,I did a bit of research and this is linked to the coolant i think,
    I opened the bonnet at 8 this morning and low an behold there was little or no coolant in its container,
    So I walked to the shop, bought coolant and filled it up to the mark, and it drained out straight away, I didn’t see any signs of it on the ground but I didn’t check too well as I had to walk to work then, but it certainly is not staying in its container
    Should I just drive to the nearest garage and get them to fix it? (About 2 miles away...Advance Pitstop..i would prefer not to use them?!?) Id say it could be a cracked pipe/hose connected to the coolant, but I couldn’t say that for sure..
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Any chance of an edit (or are you on the evil boards mobile?)

Do not drive it anywhere and certainly not to Advance Pitstop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

its edited there, apologies for the font mishap :)

Its definitely leaking somewhere, evidence of coolant on the ground and i can see it leaking when i try to top it up, any ideas how much it is to fix one of these pipes?Could it be more serious than this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You mean you can see the actual spot its coming out? Can it get at the area in question with your hands?

If its just a pipe then you might be able to patch it as a temp measure until a replacement part can be got. If its a joint then a screwdriver might be all you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Probably just a hose leaking or detached. If it's leaking from a cracked hose you MIGHT be able to patch it temporarily (i.e, a 5 minute drive) with duct tape or similar. How far is your nearest mechanic?

Edit: Did you top up the coolant when the engine was hot or cold? If it p*sses out when cold it's a fairly large leak.

• Advertisement

Just poured some water through the system, it appears a small pipe about 1/2 inch diameter has sheared off the engine housing, possibly due to temperature pressure?
    See pictures below showing pipe where it should be connected and where the connection to the engine housing is, i think this pipe is connected to the internal car heating?

What could have happened? If this pipe is replaced and Coolant filled back up will all be ok?

Thanks for the help
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Rob/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Rob/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I haven't a clue, but it looks like an easy enough fix. Maybe ask here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

That's easy enough to sort out OP. You'll just need to replace that part of the housing that the hose plugs into. The engine mounting there in the picture and the belt pulley will have to come out to give you some access.

Advertisement