Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New oak stairs - how to treat it?

Options
  • 13-03-2009 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

We have an oak stairs in our new build,
    I was just wondering what is the best thing to do regarding varnishing it and treating it to keep its look and quality
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 stairs

Hello.
    The stairs are new and finished with polyurethane ?
    You have said something about varnishing it ?
    If the stairs are completed there are varnished already.
    Hardwood Floors as well as wood stairs are sanded and then finished (varnished) so there is no point to put unother coat for finish now. You might put extra coat in 2 or 3 years depending on traffic.
    For now keep the stairs free of gravel, small stones, sharp dirt.
    Vacumme it, you can mop it.

Don't put too much water on the stairs and dry immidietly.

You might wax the stairs is you would like , you might wax wood floors as well .
    Waxing will keep it shiny and clean but if you decide to recoat the floors later in hte future it will not be possible if the floor has been waxed you will have to refinish the stairs and floor as well.

So waxing is the matter of decision if you don't have a lot of traffic on the floor and in say 3 years the floor willl not be scrached and worn you can just recoat it with polyurethane and this should make it look like new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Ashfield

Some good advice there, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

We normally spray finish our staircases with 2 coats of a basecoat and then a 2 pack AC lacquer \ BarTop lacquer for a hard wearing finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Sligoaidan

HI.
    We got an ash stairs delivered on saturday..It's unvarnished, and hasn't been installed yet.

Out second fix carpenter def said to get a 2 pack varnish on it.

I still need to get mine done, as I don't think I'll use the new stairs as my first varnishing/sanding project.

Getting spray varnished could be a good job, as long as attention is paid to getting it sanded and cleaned down properly first and sanded between coats.

Hey does anybody know of anyone around my neck of the woods, who does a good job of varnishing stairs? We'd be looking for a neat satin finish on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 stairs

Galway.
    So you spray stairs in the shop and then install it prefinished?
    What do you do when you install hardwood floor as well?
    Floor will have a diffrent shine then stairs ?

Thanks

• Advertisement

stairs wrote: »
    Galway.
    So you spray stairs in the shop and then install it prefinished?
    What do you do when you install hardwood floor as well?
    Floor will have a diffrent shine then stairs ?

Thanks
    Pre finished whenever possible. We spray some of the components even before assembly.
    We only spray finish the stairs when a customer requests it. Yes, in some cases, there would be a different shine than pre finished floors. I've never actually fitted a floor though.

Hope the photos come out ok, here is one i did a few months ago.

SDC10045-1.jpg

SDC10047-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12 oct31baby

hi...im looking to get a new stairs put in my 3 bed semi. just want plain square spindles...maybe ash...could u give me an idea of how much id be paying for thiss??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Ashfield

Hi,
    Just a further comment on this,
    Ive been on to the joiner and he recommended a waterbase clear satin varnish, maybe 3 coats and a light sanding in between coats,
    Im looking now for a suitable product and ive found this:

Ronseal Diamond Coat Crystal Clear Satin Varnish
    http://www.ronseal.ie/prodshowgroup.asp?shop=&groupID=2&prodid=107&groupname=Floorcare&intext=int

Has anyone ever used this or know about it?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

is waxing stairs not dangerous from a slipping and breaking your neck perspective?

• Advertisement

oct31baby wrote: »
    hi...im looking to get a new stairs put in my 3 bed semi. just want plain square spindles...maybe ash...could u give me an idea of how much id be paying for thiss??

Straight flight? Cut String?

Advertisement