Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu 8.10 help

Options
  • 13-03-2009 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I downloaded ubuntu 8.10 from ubuntu.com to install on 3 machines.
    PC1: Has installed fine and I'm using it right now.
    PC2: It seemed to install fine but when I boot the machine, it lets me login but then it does nothing.....
    It just has a completely back screen except for the mouse pointer, which I can move.
    PC3: I'm currently upgrading from 8.04 using Update Manager (I'll let you know how that goes)

The minimum memory requirement for Ubuntu 8.10 is 256 MiB of memory.

PC1 has 1Gb
    PC2 has 512Mb
    PC3 has 384Mb

So they're all above minimum requirements. Would anybody have any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks,
    ShayK1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

PC3: boots as far as the login screen but won't let me type or move the mouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

I'd imagine the problem lies with your Xorg.conf... It's a bit hit and miss depending usually on your graphics driver.

You could try this:

hit Ctrl+Alt+F2
    To stop the gnome desktop type:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

Then to try to coax the X server to work with you:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

then to restart the gnome desktop:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

If your machine is below 512 ram I would suggest Xubuntu, it's less demanding on RAM.

Hope this helps.

Also , look here:
    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/how_to_fix_your_computers_graphics_with_dpkg-reconfigure

That did the trick with PC3.
    The resolution is all messed up on PC2 and I can't really read it.
    Now, I might be over simplifying here but I think (from the changes made on PC) the problem might lie with selecting Irish keyboard instead of a UK one.

I'm re-installing the OS on PC2 with UK selected and I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks for the help!!

ShayK1

nope, that didn't work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭bullpost

Try getting a command line login - or installing the ubuntu server version which doesn't come with a graphical interface. Might be sufficient if you don't need a desktop environment - It can be installed later if you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

Might be that whatever graphics chip PC2 uses isn't supported. Is it integrated or dedicated? You might need a specific proprietary driver for it.

bullpost wrote: »
    Try getting a command line login - or installing the ubuntu server version which doesn't come with a graphical interface. Might be sufficient if you don't need a desktop environment - It can be installed later if you do.

I think I'm going to try Xubuntu first. I don't need the GUI but I'd prefer it.
    Thanks for the suggestion though

Dartz wrote: »
    Might be that whatever graphics chip PC2 uses isn't supported. Is it integrated or dedicated? You might need a specific proprietary driver for it.

I thought that too. I just opened the PC to have a look. Its integrated.

I re-installed 8.04 on PC2 and then upgraded it with Update Manager instead of a clean install with an 8.10 CD and it got into the same state as PC3 was earlier. (booted to login screen but won't let me login).

I followed An Fear Aniar's instructions again and this time it worked.

Thanks a million for the helps folks.

This problems reappears each time I reboot.
    Is there somthing I'm missing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement