Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rich doctors make me sick

Options
  • 12-03-2009 11:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭

i was working in a new house today, €3million+ been built in Adare Manor,, sites cost a million , was told it belongs to a consultant eye doctor:eek::eek:. didn't realise our taxes and health insurance paid them so well. no wonder HSE is a black hole for money:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

rich doctors make me sick
    scully74 wrote: »
    i was working in a new house today, €3million+ been built in Adare Manor,, sites cost a million , was told it belongs to a consultant eye doctor:eek::eek:. didn't realise our taxes and health insurance paid them so well. no wonder HSE is a black hole for money:mad:

If people weren't so easily sickened, doctors wouldn't be as rich. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fasterkitten

What work were you doing in the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

How do you know this guy didn't make alot of his money from private consulations or was purely a private consultant ?
    I doubt he paid for the site, materials and labour with cash either, I'd say something called a mortgage paid a large part in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

he/she spent bones of 15 years training for this and probably got paid little on the old doctors way of training, i never begrudge Doctors as they have massive insurance problems and yes paid a lot but do a very important job.
    Would you let someone paid very little at your eyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

They have to be paid well if they are good, otherwise they would emigrate for the money. I shudder to think who would be left behind. *shudder*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

TheDriver wrote: »
    he/she spent bones of 15 years training for this and probably got paid little on the old doctors way of training, i never begrudge Doctors as they have massive insurance problems and yes paid a lot but do a very important job.

couldn't agree more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Begrudgery is still alive & well in Ireland. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Only drug smugglers, bank CEOs and property developers deserve to have lots of cash. How dare that eye consultant build a big house.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Get over it, that or seek out a Communist dictatorship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭stardust_dublin

OP your post is the perfect example of Irish Begrudgery at its finest..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

My dad dedicated 15years of his life training to become a Consultant. He earned nothing at all while studying. In fact most doctors dont start making an earning untill they are 40 years old. So the amount they make is to make up for the last 20 odd years. Secondly my dad deals 95% with private consultations, built up his own patient base and works 6days a week and about 12hours per day if not more.

You my friend dont even have a clue about how hard they have worked to get where they are and has sweet fu*k all to do with the HSE.

You should look at the builders who spent a year training and are ripping off people for work that anyone can learn in 6months. These people got lucky with the building boom, exploited it and fly helicopters. Did they make this fortune??? They were just lucky. My dad doesnt have a helicopter.

I exploded a banger in my eye, cut my eye open and my eye ball was bleeding. I had an eye surgeon fix it up. If I didnt, I would be blind in my right eye. He charged 6,000euro to save my sight, thats justifiable!! An electrician can rewire a house for about 6,000euro that's not justifiable.
    If your going to moan at rich people that you are jealous about than moan about the right people!!

Exactly proves my point, well said TheDriver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I'm a doctor. I'm 31 and have **** all money.

I'll be a consultant in a few years. But that will have involved donkeys years of working shocking hours. You should try making complicated life and death decisions in a premature baby intensive care unit at 4am, having been on your feet since 8am that morning.

Pregnant doctors in ireland still do shifts that are up to 56 hours long, and sometimes even up to 72 hours long, during which time you don't get a rostered break!

I once got kidney stones from getting so dehydrated at work, because i didn't have time to drink. I had to stagger to A+E, piss out the stones, and then go right back into work.

Honestly, it's a pretty appalling life at times. If we wanted the cash, there are much easier ways of making it.

It's also pretty unlikely that that gaff was paid for outright. My mate who's an electrician has a place worth 750k and he works 9-5.

I can't even think about a mortgage.

But, I mean, if you still think it's easy, go back and resit your leaving. Get the 550 points. Then work your scrote off for 6 years. After that it will only take you another 15 years of working a 24 hour shift every 3rd or 4th day to become a consultant.

There's nothing stopping you from doing it.

Well said!

Everybody complains that Doctors are a rip off, they charge 45-60euro for a 15minute consultation. But they dont complain about a beauty therapist charging 100-150euro for a back massage. Beauty therapist needs only 1 year training. Doctor 15-20years training. Therapist doesnt have to fork out lots for tools/equipment. Therapist doesnt have to pay for really high insurance.
    A lad cleaned out the gutter on the surgeory. Took him 2 hours to do and used his bare hands...NO EQUIPMENT! Charged 200euro, thats 100euro per hour with NO QUALIFICATION and NO EXPENSES.
    But still people moan about doctors, you dont know what real work is.
    I think Tallaght01 explained it quite well there!

tallaght01 wrote: »

I'll be a consultant in a few years. But that will have involved donkeys years of working shocking hours. You should try making complicated life and death decisions in a premature baby intensive care unit at 4am, having been on your feet since 8am that morning.

Pregnant doctors in ireland still do shifts that are up to 56 hours long, and sometimes even up to 72 hours long, during which time you don't get a rostered break!

I once got kidney stones from getting so dehydrated at work, because i didn't have time to drink. I had to stagger to A+E, piss out the stones, and then go right back into work.

Honestly, it's a pretty appalling life at times. If we wanted the cash, there are much easier ways of making it.

It's also pretty unlikely that that gaff was paid for outright. My mate who's an electrician has a place worth 750k and he works 9-5.

But, I mean, if you still think it's easy, go back and resit your leaving. Get the 550 points. Then work your scrote off for 6 years. After that it will only take you another 15 years of working a 24 hour shift every 3rd or 4th day to become a consultant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Are you a tradesman? Or even a labourer?
    OP, in the past few years there were people quitting school early and pulling close to 1k a week on sites.
    And don't forget the tradesmen doing nixers every weekend, earning potential was huge and like hell, it was all declared to the taxman

For what? 4 years training for a tradesmen and laborers earning big money for hard work but not much training at all. Sure all you needed was a safe pass cert.

Could you go back and do your leaving cert, live on a college grant (if you qualify) and a part-time job for 6 years and then face into mega long hours as a junior doctor?

Bedgrudeary. That eye consultant made a success of themselves and if they have a private clinic they have created employment.
    The hurler on the ditch eh. Don't stand back knocking others, why not be happy for them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I'd like to point out a current postcount of 3,293 - join date Dec. 2006 :p

- Drink the odd glass of water between posts FFS!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,453 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well said.
    I particularily agree with the last part of your post.
    Its my outlook on life as well.
    If you think a particular career is a handy number/beneficial/better than the one you are currently in, you should try your best to get into it.

There are an increasing number of people in this country who believe everyone should get paid the same, no matter what job they do. Idiots.

kippy wrote: »
    There are an increasing number of people in this country who believe everyone should get paid the same, no matter what job they do. Idiots.

I couldn't agree with you any more, but those executive bankers are an exception in my opinion. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    I couldn't agree with you any more, but those executive bankers are an exception in my opinion. :mad:

A lot of "rich" people are only rich because they've managed to rack up huge loans. Now they've been caught with their pants down and can join the rest of us poor people, as long as they pull their pants up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Yeah there does seem to be a lot of people on the take but at the same time consultants are at the top of there game. I think a lot of people underestimate how hard it is to get to that stage. The best deserve to be awarded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

he deserves it, its a tough and long road, he might only spend 5 mins looking at ur eye but he spent about 10 years working his nuts off to be good enough to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Kenmare

God some people are so bitter. Personally I cant complain. Its expensive alright to see a doctor (I like the NHS for all its faults), but at least you are getting quality.

do you know what makes me really sick? Rich labourers and tradesmen.

cotwold wrote: »
    do you know what makes me really sick? Rich labourers and tradesmen.

I second that. +1

Think this topic should be closed now, don't think scully is coming back to fight his point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

Then why am I running like a FOOL to hand money over to Sight Savers International, who rely on the support of voluntary medical personnel to work in 3rd world countries

Cause those doctors only go out to work their for 3 months as a nice cv plumper and free african holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

cotwold wrote: »
    Cause those doctors only go out to work their for 3 months as a nice cv plumper and free african holiday.

You think it's a nice "holiday"? They're not staying in posh hotels, trust me!
    What a nasty, ignorant thing to say.

eth0_ wrote: »
    You think it's a nice "holiday"? They're not staying in posh hotels, trust me!
    What a nasty, ignorant thing to say.

If you're going to quote me please do it accurately, i said it was a nice cv plumper. Which it is. You'd be a little less ignorant if you read peoples posts correctly.

Advertisement