Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer gone funny after Defrag.

Options
  • 12-03-2009 8:46pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

Defraged my computer earlier. During the process the usb sound went on and off a few times - as if my mouse was being unplugged and inserted again.

Now the mouse cursor freezes for a few seconds every few minutes. It's a nightmare while gaming.
    Some other programs also freeze for a second or two.

I don't know how defragmentation works but I feel that the system moved files and it's causing this lag - World of Warcraft is affected especially.

I've done all the virus stuff outlined on the sticky, did a system restore, installed the latest drivers for my graphics and uninstalled the mouse drivers and reinstalled.

No good.

I'm this close to deleting the lot and installing XP again as it's more annoying than you could imagine.

Any ideas what the problem may be?
    My system is e8400 2x3.0 GHX, 4GB RAM, 9800GTX+ XP home premium.
    Had it for 2 months now no problems until now.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

**** it. Reinstalled windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Adder1

jayteecork wrote: »
    Defraged my computer earlier. During the process the usb sound went on and off a few times - as if my mouse was being unplugged and inserted again.

Now the mouse cursor freezes for a few seconds every few minutes. It's a nightmare while gaming.
    Some other programs also freeze for a second or two.

I don't know how defragmentation works but I feel that the system moved files and it's causing this lag - World of Warcraft is affected especially.

I've done all the virus stuff outlined on the sticky, did a system restore, installed the latest drivers for my graphics and uninstalled the mouse drivers and reinstalled.

No good.

I'm this close to deleting the lot and installing XP again as it's more annoying than you could imagine.

Any ideas what the problem may be?
    My system is e8400 2x3.0 GHX, 4GB RAM, 9800GTX+ XP home premium.
    Had it for 2 months now no problems until now.

Try a repair install from the xp disc as below

Boot from your XP cd. you may have to go into the bios to set computer to do this or there may be a function you can press mine is f12 check your manual for this

1- Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

2- Don`t press R to use the Recovery Console.

3- press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

4- select your installation of Windows XP and then press R to repair Windows XP.

5- Follow the prompts on screen.

please note you will have to download and reinstall all updates after this. Also some programmes may need to be reinstalled

Advertisement