Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making money as a singer/songwriter

Options
  • 12-03-2009 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Here's my question, and I'll be plain: I am a singer and songwriter. I am good. I am gigging - but I am finding it very difficult to get paid by venues as a solo artist. Most of the gigs out there seem to be "Songwriter Sessions" - which are glorified open mics. I am not adverse to playing these, in fact I have played quite a few - but running around the country playing for free isn't paying the bills. I just want feedback, and information - I know it's a competative world out there, and if you've got a good thing going, maybe you don't want to say - but how are any of you making your way in this?

Thanks a mil! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

I've done that man, its tough but I suppose one of the best ways to get ahead is to try and some support slots to more established artists. Then make some demos and send them to radio, Phantom FM are usually good for that kind of stuff, if its of a decent quality. Its a big ask man. You could always go into the business of doing covers in pubs, I know a few guys making a living off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭bluevoice

Thanks for the reply and advice - I'm doing pretty much that right now, so on the right track, I guess. I won't give up at any rate - this is all I've ever wanted to do, and maybe it's scraping by right now, but hey - at least I'm not stuck behind a desk somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Dead right man! No office jobs for the likes of us. If you want to record a few songs anytime give me a shout. Wont cost you very much, promise!

Best of luck, and let us know if you're playing around Dublin anytime.

Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Get stuff up on YouTube and Myspace too. Also, look into recording stuff and selling independently / using the likes of iTunes and CDBaby.com. At least check the costs of doing so - nothing ventured, nothing gained!

🤪

Advertisement