Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Component Video over CAT5 Balun

Options
  • 12-03-2009 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

Hi, I posted a question yesterday in this forum asking whether I could just solder RCA connectors onto each end of a 40' CAT5e cable and distribute a component HD signal successfully, it seems that it will not work without significantly reducing the picture quality, so I found THIS component only balun on Ebay, seems like a good price, question is a)is this one any good? & b) as it doesn't have an audio stage can I just solder rca for stereo L+R without any loss of quality or should I buy a balun which incorporates both Audio and Video?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 conbon

hi, I think you will run into problems when you try to solder. especially if it is solid core cat5. Also not ideal because different colours in cable are different length. orange white will be longer than brown white. (more twists) In my experience its easier to just get another balun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Thanks, I bought a HDMI balun yesterday that should sort out my video and audio if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭Homer

Victor if what you get doesn't work then Shinybow do a nice component balun that does component and analag + Digital audio in one unit. It does require 2 cat5 but you have that so it wouldnt be a problem.

Here's a link to the unit in question.

Let us know how you get on with the balun you got and maybe make and model?

Advertisement