Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carpenters apprentice

Options
  • 12-03-2009 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

In this time of economic downturn we have been told that the trades are declining, and there is no work for anyone. Jobs are in short supply and plumbers are pulling pints and doctors are sweeping the streets. Our economic advisors are telling us to think outside the box! Well this is us, thinking outside the box!
    We have a son who is just 16. He does well enough educationally but he has a problem. All he has ever wanted to do is work with wood. He would rather not finish school, he wants to work! He has no knowledge of hard times and turns to his family for help. Now, we would rather he finish his education but he is certain about his path in life and nothing will turn him from it and he will do anything to do what he was born to be and my wife and I support him in his wishes.
    For his junior cert he made a table, but unlike his classmates he did not want to make it with the school-supplied wood. His reaction was
    “Pine? I don’t think so!”
    We spent an afternoon in a timber yard looking for just the right piece of red oak, with him climbing the racks of planking like a monkey and stroking each beam and rapping them with his knuckles. The end result was a table that would honour any craft gallery. It earned him a B and the delight of his woodwork teacher and the pride of his family. He also got a an A in Technical Graphics. We asked his teacher if he was ready for an apprenticeship in carpentry. His response?
    “He was ready for an apprenticeship when he was thirteen! And his table would pass him a Leaving Cert.”
    You can guess where this is going! we are looking for someone to offer our son an apprenticeship. we are not saying he is the Mozart of wood but we are saying that he has never split a plank or bent a nail. He is a careful and enthusiastic worker and has an eye for detail. He can read plans and on a more fundamental level, he understands his material and loves it. Simply put he wants to graft and has the best pair of hands we have ever seen on a 16 year old! He would be a great asset to any firm or woodworker. He just needs a break and we hope someone will read this and treat our son for what he is, a great resource and a future craftsman.
    We have put a lot of effort in supporting him to follow his dream and refuse to let this economic downturn crush it without exploring all avenues.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I don't want to put words into a Mod's mouth (I could be lining myself up for a smack in the mouth here) but do you think it's wise to put your mobile phone number on a message board?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Supra lover 87

Give the man a break he knows what he has done and im sure hes old enough to know what could happen putting up his number on a forum

• Registered Users Posts: 43 maninamousesuit

I never even thought of the phone number thing...good point but i dont worry about that..im big and hairy enough not to be at risk..
    it turned out to be a good idea...i have recieved interest from a most unexpected source....
    we shall see and i will post more info as it comes in...for any one who is interested..
    leap and the net will appear!

I'm glad to hear it. It's nice to read a story with a happy ending these days :cool:

If things work out well for your son, it might not be a bad idea to go back in and edit out those numbers. I know I'm sounding overly paranoid here but once you post personal details on a website, you never know who can see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

plus there's programmes that surf the web for phone numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

fairplay if he gets a job now. he's better off just done the leaving cert then get the hell out of the country cos there are no jobs around.

Can someone become an apprentice after their Leaving Cert? :confused: Excuse my ignorance here - I know next to nothing about apprenticeships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

you can become an apprentice at any age once someone takes you on

• Registered Users Posts: 43 maninamousesuit

check out this weeks kilkenny people....they read my post and did an interview......theres a half page ad for my son right there...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Best of luck to your son, I really hope he does get an apprenticeship soon.:)
    I think its lovely to see the support you're giving him with this too, my mum did the same for my sister when she was younger and wanted to be a chef.

My mum spoke to every restaurant where we lived and told them how much of a passion my sis has for cooking. She eventually got an apprenticeship as a commis chef is one of the best restaurants in Dublin and after a few years hard graft is a Head Chef at a young age.

No doubt your son will go far with your support and encouragement :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement