Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's pay

Options
  • 12-03-2009 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

Given the level of effort put into our job and the love of the profession most portray I am dismayed and hugely let down by my pay. I know I'll get slatted for saying this. I honestly don't know how I'm going to cope. I single handedly pay for my grandmother's nursing home and my own medication for a serious illness which thankfully does not effect my work. That said, I'm now left with pitance and am left feeling sour. Rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Was the pension levy deducted today? I checked my balance and my pay was way less than usual.
    I think it's because I am subbing and they may be emergency taxing me.
    ONe of my permanent colleagues said the deduction today was less than she expected. To be honest it's going to get worse with the new budget in April. I think the bands wil increase rather than a direct paycut. Don't think there is much we can do at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Alessandra wrote: »
    Was the pension levy deducted today? I checked my balance and my pay was way less than usual.
    I think it's because I am subbing and they may be emergency taxing me.
    ONe of my permanent colleagues said the deduction today was less than she expected. To be honest it's going to get worse with the new budget in April. I think the bands wil increase rather than a direct paycut. Don't think there is much we can do at this stage.

yep, i got paid wednesday (VEC) and it's listed there on the payslip. The deductions list is getting longer and longer! But on a more serious note, it was less than i had calculated (which is good) but again, I'm going to find it tight for the next while (mortgage). I don't think there will be pay cuts either, but I'm expecting tax rates to go up maybe something like 23% and 46% or thereabouts. Then it will really hurt.

The teachers on the top rate in my school are out by about €500 a month I think, they are the A post holders on 35+ years experience. One of those teachers said that if she retired the end of this year ( approx 38 years done and probably bought back years) she would be only €700 worse off on her pension per year! I'd say a few teachers at the top end of the scale might go

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

heard teachers alright in my place saying that they are thinking of retirement because its nearly as cheap to retire than work

Advertisement