Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing a phd in the states

Options
  • 12-03-2009 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all - congrats on the forum!

Does anyone have any experience of doing a phd in the states? My OH is currently doing a masters and wants to continue to study after it and do a phd. He doesn't want to do it in NZ (where we currently live) beacause it's hard to get lecturing jobs if you get your undergrad, masters and phd from the same university. As long as we go to an English speaking country where I can work, them I'm cool with it. He's starting to think more and more about the states. I have American citizenship and can live and work there with him.

I just wondered did anyone have any experience with this? Is is hard to get funding to do one? I think his masters is going very well - he's already been invited to speak at a conference in Europe after submitting a paper. He's flying off soon to speak at it. What about getting student visas?

His only concern is that even though he will have a masters he will still have to do a phd for four years.

Anyhoo, it's something we're thinking about so any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

We operate on the graduate schooling system, very different to the system you guys seem to have where you apply for a PhD like a job.

You must apply to a graduate school and meet certain requirements (here there are exam requirements) and interview. Once accepted you partake in formal classes and rotate in labs until you get a match. The whole process in about 7 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

GuanYin wrote: »
    We operate on the graduate schooling system, very different to the system you guys seem to have where you apply for a PhD like a job.

You must apply to a graduate school and meet certain requirements (here there are exam requirements) and interview. Once accepted you partake in formal classes and rotate in labs until you get a match. The whole process in about 7 years.

Hmm, thanks for the response. That sounds crazy!

He's doing a research masters, not a taught one so I don't know how he would feel about a taught phd that would take that long.

Advertisement