Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strap or bracelet?

Options
  • 12-03-2009 12:01am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The eternal dilemma. Personally I'm a strap man. Could never get on with metal bracelets. I think straps set off a watch better and a strap change can change the whole feeling of a watch. Plus I've wrists like a 12 year old ballet dancer so maybe that's part of it..:o

Awaits flames from the more manly wrist bearers....... :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it really depends, i only have the one watch which is a bracelet.

i really want to get a

2901-50-91.jpg

because my braclet scratches on the table at work whilst i'm typing on the keyboard, that wouldn't happen with a strap watch. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Noice. Always had a thing for the seamaster. IMHO some of the bigger normally bracelet type watches often look better on a strap. Not all mind, but some.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

aye they will but with a strap the wear would be less noticeable whereas with a bracelet after a week your watch bracelet could be ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Always wear the bracelet, found that the straps tended to get a bit smelly or worn too easily. Also with ones where I dive, tends to be metal or rubber due to salt water.

Tho for my wedding next year, I will be getting a strap watch..looks a lot classier with the suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Bracelets for me as well for everyday use. Straps have to changed a little bit too often when they start to harbour a bit of a stench

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Mine has to be a bracelet. I don't want something made from the leftovers at the meat factory, I want something someone had to go underground for, risk death for, smelt and fashion into a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

ned78 wrote: »
    Mine has to be a bracelet. I don't want something made from the leftovers at the meat factory, I want something someone had to go underground for, risk death for, smelt and fashion into a thing of beauty.

Or recycled coke cans .. you know..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i like both, strap for dressier watches and bracelet for more casual

some watches (like the tag carrera) pull both off very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

I do both - on the old Rolex models there are holes so you could easily pop the bracelet off, swap out the pins and fit a decent Hirsh leather.

It all depended on mood and nobody ever noticed the head was a Rolex

I like Rolex but hate it when the unappreciative or gold miners noticed it. With the leather on it was only noticed by like minded enthusiasts.

The striped NATO Bond strap is dirt cheap and always gets compliments when I put it on a sports watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Depends totally on the watch for me .

My seamaster is a chunky metal braclet and couldn't imagine wearing a leather strap with it. On the other hand I have an "unterwasser traser" dive watch with a rubber strap and I actually went back to the supplier to get the metal braclet and tried it - and went straight back to the rubber strap.

Interesting my dad who loves watches can only wear a metal strap as if he wears a leather one - it falls apart in a matter of weeks - some sort of reaction with his sweat to the leather.

Advertisement