Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sony vaio, switching from vista to xp

Options
  • 11-03-2009 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

I'd like to install XP on my 7 month old sony vaio & get rid of vista but everytime I try to install XP a message comes up that drive cannot be found
    I contacted sony support but they could not assist me as I was downgrading my operating system
    any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Teamhar

This sometimes happens if you need to load up third party drivers before installing the OS. Usually its something you see in servers with SCSI disks etc and in those cases a floppy disk with the appropriate drivers is prepared in advance. Once the drivers are loaded, the disk is picked up no problem and you can install away.

That mightn't be relevant to your case however as I'm not familiar with that message appearing on a laptop. I'm just throwing it out there to get ideas moving.

If you have the spec of the hard disk thats in the machine, that might be useful- manufacturer, rpm, SATA or IDE etc.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I reckon it's a sata hard drive in there. You can get the drivers from the manufacturers website.

You could also put an xp install disk together with the drivers on it using something like nlite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

XP doesnt have any SATA drivers on the installation disc. At least it didn't originally, im not sure about SP2 or 3.

The normal way was to have the drivers ready on the A: drive (floppy).

But of course, you can put together your own installation disc as above, with the required drivers ready to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭signman12

yea it's a sata drive,
    so all I need to do is just download drivers for xp & stick it on a usb key when installing xp
    thats great, I'll try it over the weekend & let you know what happens,
    thanks for all your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Good choice OP,

Dells have been using XP on SATA 2 1/2" for a while,

If you can get a hold of any earlier Sony XP installation disks that contain SP2 & 3 you shouldn't have a problem. Once installed you can then download the appropriate drivers. I "downgraded" (Or should I say upgraded :)) my Dell Inspiron recently using this method.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

signman12 wrote: »
    yea it's a sata drive,
    so all I need to do is just download drivers for xp & stick it on a usb key when installing xp
    thats great, I'll try it over the weekend & let you know what happens,
    thanks for all your help

I'm not 100% about this but I don't think it will pick up the drivers froma usb key.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

Get the sata drivers from the vaio-link website and then slipstream these using nlite with your installtion disc.

Advertisement