Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work lamps

Options
  • 11-03-2009 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

Well I am putting two work lamps (55 watt) on the back of my defender 110 and was wondering if anyone had a wiring diagram, an easy one that I could follow. I think that it would be safer with a relay. Thanks for any help you can give me.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

This is a wiring diagram for a basic relay.

If it was me I would bring a fused feed into the cab direct from the battery so it wouldnt get wet. This supply goes to pin 30 on the relay.

Pick a feed from your igniton or fuse box and bring to a switch on the dash and from there to pin 85.

Pin 86 goes direct to earth.

Pin 87 is the one going to your work lamps.

It is a good idea to bring your earth back inside from the lamps and not be tempted to use the lamp brackets as it leaves the wiring exposed and liable to corrosion.

Because of the distance the power has to travel, dont skimp on the wiring, small gauge wiring may over heat and cause voltage drops.

If you use a 5 pin relay it will have a second pin labeled pin 87 with the main pin labeled 87a. Pin 87 comes live when there is no power supplied to pin 85. (this may be back to front - its being a while since I did one)

35092434.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Slideways your da man, even I can follow that thanks. What gauge wire would you recemmend?

Well two 55 watt lamps is 110 watts.

110/12 volts is less than 10 amps or there abouts.

They say each strand of wire can carry half an amp safetly.

That rules 14 strand out, You could use 28 twin and run the negative forward to the battery while you are at it for a good reliable earth.

Slow down a small bit. If I understand you right I run the earth back to the minus battery terminal and 28 gauge wire. Dont laugh I could be as far out as a light house its just that Ive know work at the moment and so if I can I will do it myself

Thats what I was saying, its a bit OTT but I have had probs with bad earths before so prefer to play it safe.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Humding

I've done a couple of 110's and always wired them through an on-off-on switch. One of the on's is wired direct and the other through the reversing light switch. 99.9% of the time it is left on the latter.

Humding wrote: »
    I've done a couple of 110's and always wired them through an on-off-on switch. One of the on's is wired direct and the other through the reversing light switch. 99.9% of the time it is left on the latter.
    Well its been finished a while now and is not connected to reverse gear. I have a switch in the cab and one on each light it works ok. The D.O.E is in June hope they think its ok. What part of the country are you in Id like someone who knows a bit to see how bad or good Iv done

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Humding

Hello O.A.P.
    I'm based in Limerick. However I'm not an auto electrician, but generally do my own bits & pieces

Humding

Advertisement