Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We've been here before

Options
  • 11-03-2009 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Thousands of public servants march in O Connell st Dublin to protest about low wages, Unemployment is starting to head toward 20%. A draconian budget is introduced that cripples the economy of the Republic of Ireland for a decade.
    Young men start drifting back into a resurgent I.R.A. What year am I talking about: 1953

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I seem to remember being told about an incredibly bitter and long running strike by the teachers.
    Dev would not back down on the issue.

I'm not sure what happened in the end but it seems to have been one of the largest public disputes in the State.
    But that might not have been 1953, I'll go look this up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭ckristo2

Hi mikemac,
    The big teacher's strike was in 1946. You're right the I.N.T.O. didn't get it's aim of a wage increase and went back after 6 months on strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Never heard of that one. I must ask the old aunts and uncles about it. Must have been fun for the kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭ckristo2

To conclude this thread. I smile when I hear politicians and other assorted creatures talk about this recession as the worst in 100 years (there was actually a minor recession in 1909 but how did the Government of the day deal with it? They borrowed money to offer the old a pension so they wouldn't starve) Times were very bad in the 1950's, as today it was partly political incompetence but partly, as today the rest of the world was a bit bollicksed as well. They had their own Afghanistan then too, soldiers from Europe and the U.S. were fighting long seemingly endless pointless wars in Korea, and South East Asia. But Elvis was on the horizon and James Dean too helping young people fight out of the box of fear and mean spirited-ness their elders had put them. Comon' lads where's your imagination?

Advertisement