Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 String 'Morris' Banjo - Tuning Help Please

Options
  • 11-03-2009 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I mess around with trad Irish music & folk with a few local lads. Play Guitar & Boudhran. Took up Mandolin a few months ago. I received a gift of a fixer upper 5 string/22 fret banjo and want to play it a bit for the craic. Any advice an string gauges/type/setup. ATM, I've fitted Martin guitar strings and tuned to GDAE, the small 5th string is an E using .010" solid. The other strings are M39B, M30B, M23B and M10 tuned GDAE an octave (AFAIK) below my mandolin - sounds ok, but the fingering is a pain. Anyone got any suggestions,
    I play stuff like "Isle of Innisfree" and "Tim Finnegan's Wake" on the mandolin.
    Should I just flog the 5 string and get a short 4 string tenor banjo. I can use a capo and generally play by ear.
    Thanks for any help Guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

5-string is usually tuned to an open G ( G D G B D) but there are millions of others. What you have could be closest described as Chicago tuning though real Chicago tuning goes like the top of a guitar. What scale is the neck? 22 frets I think may be short for a 5 string so for Irish trad, the tuning you are using could be right for that instrument.

GHS make a 5-string set of strings that go 9 11 13 20 9 so your string gauge seems on the money.

Here's a list of "millions" of tunings and some famous songs in which they feature. http://zeppmusic.com/banjo/

Advertisement