Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying from original site vs buying from laptopsdirect question

Options
  • 10-03-2009 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

On laptopsdirect there is this Rock brand laptop that I'm thinking of buying

and then I thought I should have a look on the Rock website. I found the same laptop, customisible (so that I could take out the bluray drive, put in more RAM etc) and it seems to work out cheaper, this X620-T9400

So, am I missing something here? There would be considerable excise duty on top making it not worth it I'm guessing, or could I get a relative up north to buy it and cancel that out?

Finally, I know laptopsdirect has a very patchy reputation, anyone know what Rock are like to deal with?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I was under the impression that purchasing within the EU meant that there was no vat/excise charged? If thats correct you would not be subject to being taxed when you receive the laptop as Rock seem to be based in the UK. I would preobably deal direct with Rock myself instead of laptopsdirect as they have a mixed history judging from reviews here on boards.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's within the EU so you don't have to worry about excise duty or anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

That's the Clevo M860TU. Give it a week or two and it'll be available with GTX260M, which is a touch more powerful than the 9800M GT, but also I think Nvidia are dropping their prices a bit with this next line-up.

Those machines are also available from Kobalt Computers, and Novatech, and a whole rake of other dealers in Europe (Cizmo etc) so it pays to shop around and read up on each seller for service etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Thanks for your input. I realised shortly after posting that I wouldn't have to worry about duty from UK or even mainland, but thanks for re-affirming that.

Thanks especially voodoo_child for pointing out those other sites, looks like there are plenty of options to choose from. I think it's a safe bet that I won't be going with laptopsdirect at any rate.

Yeah, there are a good few re-sellers. There are some more in Germany that I can't recall, Deviltech or something. It is just a case of trying to find which has good value and good service.

Clevo is the ODM of these laptops, and then they are customized and re-branded by various re-sellers. They are commonly known as Sager in the US, so if you search for them you'll find lots of reviews and info. Also, this site is good for info about those laptops.

• Advertisement

Yeah I stumbled upon that site earlier, quite usefull. For anyone who happens to be interested, this page has a huge amount of info on these machines and their vendors.

So what's the story with the GTX260M, are we just waiting for nVidia to make them generally available, or are they out but not yet for the Clevos?

Well, the new cards are just a few weeks away, they're already up for pre-order on a few sites with a 'late-March' ETA. So you may as well see what the new prices are like, or failing that, see if there are discounts on the old ones. Novatech have actually just pulled the model you were looking at off their site (it was called the X70 or something), so it'll probably pop back up in a few days with the new 260M.

Ah that explains it, I thought there was a gap between their models where a geforce 9800 should have been. Cool, I'll look out for that. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

No way after my experience with that lot will I ever deal with laptopsdirect again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 the-nth-warrior

VAT is charged at the point of purchase, in this case that would be the republic. The exception is that a company does not have to register in Ireland if it makes less than £30 million in profit. A lot of resellers make more than this so it will hard to find those. A company that says they make more than £30 million in sales each year and is not registered in the republic should be avoided because of reliability issues .Laptop direct is a scam. Look up feed back sites on this boyo and see the carnage.Thus I have had the same problem as the person that posted this thread. Third party sellers on Amazon are your best option, and it just happens that the best resellers in Europe use Amazon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement