Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspiron Controls Seizing After Three Minutes

Options
  • 10-03-2009 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

I'm having a problem with my Inspiron, which isn't even six months old.

The problem is as follows, start up, one day, our of the blue, started taking longer, then after three minutes, all controls, except the scratchpad, became completely un-responsive.
    I had to remove the battery in order to re-start and it happened again.
    When I ran it in safe mode it did not happen.

What would this point towards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Have you checked Taskmanager to see if anything is using 100% CPU / Tonnes of Memory? Sounds like an OS or Program problem as apposed to a Hardware one.

Press Alt + Crtl + Del and click Taskmanager, open the performance part to give you a graph of Memory/CPU Usage, click the Processes tab to get an individual breakdown of what Program/Process is using what resource.

Have a look there first to see if anything is strange.

Something worth a try is to roll back the system to a previous date, might work and save a lot of hassle.
    If your using Vista, click the Start Icon & type in System Restore.
    XP, click Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore

This will leave your data in tact but it rolls back the system settings\drivers and uninstalls programs that might be causing your problem.
    [Its really easy to do btw]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Thanks for that.

I'll try it when I get home and report back.
    (on a work computer right now)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

PS You should be able to run system restore from Safe Mode if you are unable to do it in Normal Mode.

Advertisement