Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web design websites

Options
  • 10-03-2009 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi, more and more jobs I've applied for recently need some sort of web design experience. Unfortunately I have none whatsoever. What websites, applications etc would you recommend to get started on? Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Start learning how to code, this is a good place to start.

Also check out:
    http://www.smashingmagazine.com/
    http://sixrevisions.com/resources/cheat_sheets_for_web_designers/
    http://designm.ag/
    http://www.gomediazine.com/

But you should start learning how to write basic code straight away, definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Honestly, web design is a whole different specialty to print design. I lways like working with really good graphic designers when working on sites, but I'd always think there's more and better quality work for someone who focuses on one thing and does that well than spreading themselves too thinly.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

I'm more of a Mac operator myself, and Im not looking to get into web design career wise, just feel it's a good string to have to your bow. Some very useful info there lads! Dreamweaver would be the best package to use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sunshine-dasies

pauro 76 wrote: »
    I'm more of a Mac operator myself, and Im not looking to get into web design career wise, just feel it's a good string to have to your bow. Some very useful info there lads! Dreamweaver would be the best package to use?

Don't use Dreamweaver :eek:

Seriously, whatever you do, run the other way when it comes to dreamweaver! Any prospective employers [who know anything about web design] will not be impressed by it.

I'm not completely sure what it is you want... but I'd say to just start learning code yourself & set up your own sites.. that's what I did.

[sorry if that's no help whatsoever lol :p]

Why is Dreamweaver so frowned upon? Would have thought it being a good thing seein as it's an Adobe product?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

dw is fine as long as you can code yourself, and understand what is going on. Don't rely on the wysiwyg editor. As you're on a mac (i'm guessing?) there are some great web apps - Coda, CSSedit (can't recommend this enough) and Textmate are great.

Wow, that looks intense! Best to walk before I can run and stick to learning code, and then get on the other websites. Steep learnign curve but Im sure it will be worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

Seriously, whatever you do, run the other way when it comes to dreamweaver! Any prospective employers [who know anything about web design] will not be impressed by it.

I'm not completely sure what it is you want... but I'd say to just start learning code yourself & set up your own sites.. that's what I did.

Why not use dreamweaver? I'm a print designer and I've got okish xhtml, css, flash, xml going on.

But I would still do a website in dreamweaver. Granted editing code is nice to do.

And granted I don't do that many websites.

So just curious as to why to stay away from Dreamweaver?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I've worked in tons of great web design companies, and Dreamweaver is industry standard. The tool is not frowned upon at all, only if you use it badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

p wrote: »
    I've worked in tons of great web design companies, and Dreamweaver is industry standard. The tool is not frowned upon at all, only if you use it badly.
    +1
    its being dependent on it that's frowned upon.
    Any good designer/developer worth his/her salt should be able to create a website by just using notepad, Using the likes of dream weaver should only be to speed up the process.

Dream weaver is great when you need to the layout sorted in a hurry. but you should know how to write the code yourself even if dream weaver is doing it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 grainne.obrien

Dreamweaver isn't all that bad and is useful to know how to use when interviewing for jobs, been there done that. But what empolyers also look for is that you know what is it Dreamweaver is doing behind the scenes.

If starting out you'll need a good grounding in HTML and CSS, there's are 100's of tutorials out there for learning or plenty of books. If getting a book look at the Head First series that are a great learning aid.

Advertisement